OMC Drive Almost complete

PT

Seaman
1987 OMC Cobra<br />I installed the outdrive tonight. One thing thats brothering me is when I put it on I managed to get the bolts half way through each hole & put a nut on each one,that was as far as i could get it to go on, then i put my socket on each nut & pulled it on the rest of the way by tightening them. While i was tightening them it would make a poping sound as if something was scrubbing as it was going on ...Is this common .... Am i worrying over nothing... If this is common I plan on putting the shifter cable on the engine shifter plate tomorrow & crankering her up... thxs for all you guys info & Help

a.d.mobile

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: OMC Drive Almost complete

engine alignment might have been off???? did you put gear lube on the 2 o-rings on the drive shaft? what did you put on the drive shaft splines? should be moly lube od spline grease.

PT@work

Cadet
Re: OMC Drive Almost complete

I put 2 cycle oil on the oings, and OMC triple guard grease on the splines, after thinkin about it awhile , I had to bump the drive to get it off so maybe it need a little to get it back fully in, there was only like a 1 inch gap left to go on, so maybe it was the weight of the drive making the poping sound as it was being pulled on.