OMC Coupler fit

mickey1

Seaman Apprentice
got my new coupler today and while checking it for fit i saw that the shaft it slides on has some play up/down/sideways, it appears to be about 1/16 to 1/8 of play. do i have a problem.the engine is a 3.0liter with a cobra outdrive. thanx in advance

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander
Re: OMC Coupler fit

If you mean that the shaft on the front of the coupler that sits in the crank has some play, don't worry too much about it. I had to completely remove that shaft from my coupler since my crank had no recess, and I have had no problems.

mickey1

Seaman Apprentice

no steve, im talking about the drive shaft coming into the eng compt. from the outdrive

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

That's definitely not good I would think. Mine had no play. Those 14 or so little splines transmit all of the engine power and are only about 1/8" high to begin with, so if you have that much play you're probably reducing your contact area by about 25-50%. I wouldn't trust it. Either the coupler or the driveshaft is worn. Look for rounded edges on the splines, they should be nice and square. <br /><br />Hope this helps!

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

....I just had a thought....(it happens) <br /><br />Are you taling about the fit of the coupler to the shaft, or the shaft itself moving a little? The shaft rides through the gimble bearing and the bearing is designed to pivot, though it should take a little force to do it. If it's a little wobbly it might indicate the beginning of a possible problem with the bearing. <br /><br />I don't think mine had any "play", it would just move if I pushed it around, but would stay exactly wherever I put it.

mickey1

Seaman Apprentice

yes steve , your after thought is what ive got. it may be normal wear. ill keep an eye on it during the first run