OMC control cable questions.

Dylan Beaudry

Seaman
My throttle cable is FUBAR. Its for a 1978 Johnson 35hp. I know its a 400 type control cable but its hard to find a used one with all the hardware on it. Ive found a few possible sale posts but none of the sellers know what they have or will even respond. Im not looking for a new one as none come with the adapters and im not looking to spend a million bucks.

However, the 1979 and later cables look similar enough and are cheaper since they're current.

What is the difference between the old and new ones? And if any, what kind of modifications will i be required to do to make it fit?

Now... I know how this forum usually goes, a few of you are gonna ignore everything i asked and give their two cents on how i should just spend the money and time getting the new, expensive and rare parts. Or that modifying my engine or control box is a bad idea. Well, kindly can it. The whole boat was 200 bucks, im not gonna shed a damn tear if i have to heft out the sawz all. I want to know what ive asked, nothing more. Im tired of the opinions, give me the facts please.

-difference
-can it be done
-how

Thats it, thank you.