OMC Cobra

PT

Seaman
How do i tell what model my cobra is. 1987 model 3.0 litre . where do i look on the drive for a # that might help me,I wanna know how many HP it is & so i can get a new prop any help thxs

PT

Seaman
Re: OMC Cobra

i looked on the prop & it says 13 1\4 x 17. is this the best all around prop for this drive. it looks worn some (Aluninum). How do ya know when ya need to replace the prop.

chris in va

Chief Petty Officer

If it's visibly worn, it needs to be replaced. Fortunately you can buy props now with a separate hub and housing, so if you snap a blade it only costs about $60 to replace rather than $140 for a one-piece.<br /><br />Not sure about the pitch, you'll have to find that out from the other 4-cylinder guys.

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade

that's what i have on my 3.0 cobra. works fine for me.

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

PT....you want to make sure your prop is allowing the engine to run in the recommended range. For your 3.0 ltr the WOT range is 4200 - 4600 RPM, if your current prop puts you in that range then stick withn that size, remember that if you drop down in pitch say from your 17" to 15" then you will get a quicker hole shot but will lose a little top end and possibly be out of the WOT range (roughly 1 in of pitch can change the RPM's by 200)also if you go the other way to a 19" then you will be sluggish coming out of the hole, possibly get a little more top end out of it but may never actually hit the WOT range.

dkhntr

Seaman

I dont know how accurate my RPM gauge is, But I have a 14X19 and my RPM's are in the WOT range. 1988 3.0 with Cobra outdrive.