omc cobra

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Re: omc cobra

YOu have to be careful with these, they had a lot of trouble with the transom shift cables the first few years, they were recalled because the cables were causing stiff shifting and that was tearing up gearsets. Once the updated cable (red not black) is installed and adjusted correctly, they shift well, even better than comparable Mercs of the same vintage. Make sure you can get parts (I have been able to thus far) and see if you can find some one who will work on it, not all will. The later model Cobras were converted to a cone clutch Volvo style shift system and have much less trouble. If you are looking at a 86 to 93 (dog clutch Cobra) see this site:<br />www.funkopolis.com:8080/~stuart/cobra/<br />Stuart Hastings has put together a great site with tons of info on these.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

The last post gives some wonderfull info.Early cobras did have problems with cables and gear sets , but if the upgrades have been accomplished and this power package has since had a fun and somewhat trouble free history,then I might not be afraid of it.Finding a shop that will work on this unit could also be an issue ,so call around,before laying down.

If you have a good book and a decent set of tools they seem to be easy to work on. Now, how long it will last is another story. The one I have now I bought in a bucket.<br /><br />Mike

azboatman

Cadet

all good points, but remember, OMC has declared bankruptsy. getting tooling is getting difficult for the shops. with things going on back order for as long as 18 months.