OMC Cobra Sterndrive Removal

Ol'Jim

Recruit
1994 Sunbird Corsair 180 SL, GM 4.3L/V6, OMC Cobra.
Wanting to know if the engine will have to be pulled in order to remove the sterndrive for transom gasket replacement. Bought an OMC Manual, but it doesn't clearly indicate (to my aging mind) whether I can accomplish the task without removing the engine.

Pretty good leak, thought it may be the bellows, but they appear good and fairly new. Took a tip from a post on here, and (with boat on trailer in driveway) put the garden hose in the engine compartment, and started filling her from the inside. With water level approx 6-8 inches deep in bilge, started seeping on the outside, at both sides of the sterndrive, about 2-3 in above bottom of the unit. As water level rose, the flow increased quite a bit.
From the exploded diagram in manual, the gasket seems the logical point of failure, but I would welcome the sharing of any experiences with a similar situation. Also would appreciate any advice, tips, guidance on removing the drive, (best method for supporting/lifting, weight of unit, etc). I rebuild and replace automobile engines, so no stranger to mechanical work, and have had some outboard boats in the past, but haven't attempted this task before.
Boat sat in an indoor storage facility for approx 6 years prior to our purchase last fall. Had been winterized by the marina where it was stored, when they put it away.
Took it out twice last year, the leak was immediately apparent, though nothing the bilge pump couldn't handle for our brief outings. Thanks in advance for your assistance!;) -Jim.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: OMC Cobra Sterndrive Removal

howdy,

#1. get an OEM manual if you're planning to any of this yourself.

#2. You can pull the drive by removing 6 nuts on the back and 1 thru-bolt at the back also.
Pretty easy (see the manual)

regards,

Rick

a70eliminator

Captain

howdy,

#1. get an OEM manual if you're planning to any of this yourself.

#2. You can pull the drive by removing 6 nuts on the back and 1 thru-bolt at the back also.
Pretty easy (see the manual)

regards,

Rick

I think he knows about pulling the drive, The transom gasket leaks, there's more to it than pulling the drive, I can't help with what all need done, never had to do it, but more than likely motor needs to come out and transom re-sealed.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Wow,

It must have been pretty late last night when I replied to this post!
That's not what I got out of it but I see that now.

It appears that you may have a transom seal leak(they usually don't start leaking for "no' reason"). You absolutely do have to remove the engine and drive to get the transom out.

There may be other problems in the transom area too like rotten wood or a crack in the casting etc. You won't know until you get it out to inspect.