OMC Cobra steering stiffness

ctimms

Recruit
1989 175 hp 4.3liter OMC Cobra<br /><br />Problem. No power assist.<br />How do I go about trouble shootting to figure if the problem lies in the power steering or the actuator? Several years ago when I got my boat out for the summer the steering was stuck. I finally had to jerk hard on the outdrive in order to get it to move. After useing it several times since then I finaly decided I had a problem insted of just not being used causing the stiffness. The more I used it and moving the steering back and forth it didn't ever loosen up any. Help help help :confused: :confused:

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander
Re: OMC Cobra steering stiffness

Have you ever greased the actuator or put grease on the steering shaft? There should be a grease fitting on the actuator.

murphini

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Have a 89 OMC w/5.0 cobra with powersteering.... Had similar stif problem, tried to grease the shaft. Still stiff.<br /><br />I just had steering cable replaced and HUGE difference/improvement--even with the engine/power steering off. Probably time for a new cable from Teleflex. NOw that it is fixed, I am kicking myself for not doing it sooner.<br /><br />I had a guy put it on for me...job looks self-doable, but a royal pain to string cable all the way back there.

ctimms

Recruit

Yes I have greased all the above. I was hoping it might be something real simple. But that is never the case with a boat. :( <br />Thanks for your help