OMC Cobra spraying water out port side

Frozen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Everything had been going well running the engine on the muffs. Till is started doing this yesterday. I tried tightening that screw thats in there, but that made it worse. Is it just a seal that needs replaced?

photo-3.JPG

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: OMC Cobra spraying water out starboard side

You had me going there...... It's on the PORT side..... (PORT IS LEFT!)

That is the "Never Remove Screw"!

If there's a leak there, you'll need to remove the drive to seal it up. I would clean up the hole and put some JB weld in the hole and put the screw back in. It will never need to be removed again. Fill the "slot" with JB WELD too.....that way you'll never be tempted to try to turn it with a screwdriver!!

Frozen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You had me going there...... It's on the PORT side..... (PORT IS LEFT!)

That is the "Never Remove Screw"!

If there's a leak there, you'll need to remove the drive to seal it up. I would clean up the hole and put some JB weld in the hole and put the screw back in. It will never need to be removed again. Fill the "slot" with JB WELD too.....that way you'll never be tempted to try to turn it with a screwdriver!!

haha opppps i just woke up swear!

Shoud I just try tightening it down more? It wasn't exactly tight when I tried to tighten it. How do you access it with the drive removed?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

There is a "nut-plate" on the other side.

Looks like someone (NOT YOU, of course;)) loosened it and found out that there's a "loose" nut inside that would fall off........ THERE IS!

If it won't tighten enough to stop the leak, or the inside nut turns when you attempt to tighten it, you'll need to pull the drive to get in there (A dribble really won't hurt anything though)

That area behind the "screw" is the pump discharge cavity. It covers a fitting on the gimbal mount that is sealed and has the fitting that is connected to the hose/pipe that goes through the transom mount and on to the engine as shown below. (lower left pipe/hose etc)

The point on the drive itself that mates up to the transom mount approximates the shape of the sealing ring (#35 below)

If you unscrew the "Never-Remove" screw far enough for the nut inside to fall off, it *could* (if you run the drive in water) wash that little rectangular nut plate into the fitting (#18) and lodge in the hose if it's small enough.

Aside from water shooting out of the hole(on the side and even if you plugged the hole somehow), the blockage in the pipe would reduce the overall flow of water to the engine.........and possibly cause overheats.....

you need to fix it.

convert

Frozen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'll try tightening it more. When I first saw it and started to tighten it, it made the "leak" worse so I stupid. I'll try to tighten it down and see if that fixes it, hopefully that nut is still on! If not off comes the drive! again!

Frozen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well I was able to just tighten it up tonight, didn't get a chance to run it, will tomorrow and hopefully no more leaking!!