omc cobra shifting question

4.3sunbird

Seaman
I ran the model # on my outdrive which I know is a 3.0 unit that was put on my 4.3 boat<br /><br />the unit is a 88 model 3.0 with 13 spline shaft and small lower gearcase<br /><br />from what I've looked at the 4.3 should have the bigger gearcase with more splines <br /><br />well the guy I got it from had the shift cable unhooked from the shifter for manual shifting seperate from the shifter .. well I hooked the cable back to the shifter and it is backwards <br /><br />in better terms forward is reverse and reverse is forward <br /><br />would the earlier unit be opposite of what my 92 boat would be ?<br /><br />I've looked at the shifter and there is no bracket toward the front to loop the cable and hook up from the other way <br /><br />now that I know its backwards I can deal with it till I find a better outdrive to put on it but want to make sure its the drive thats different or maybe the wrong shifter in the boat or something :confused: <br /><br />first time I dropped in the water with it hooked up I about went back up the ramp without the trailer :eek:

whywhyzed

Banned
Re: omc cobra shifting question

You sure you don't have a LH prop on this drive!?<br /><br />aha...head scratching pays off...

4.3sunbird

Seaman

standing behind the boat the prop goes clockwise to go forward <br /><br />still scratching my thinning hair ;)

ieagreg1

Cadet

I had the same problem with my 3.0L with the same result backed it up on the concrete launch thank god for the skeg. My problem turned out to be the shifter it's a new universal shifter with multiple locations for different cables and drives. I hooked it up per the instructions and its backwards so I just flipped the cable to the other side and it now works fine. Maybe yours is the same way. I'm sure the problems with your shifter and not at the engine. I hope this helps