OMC Cobra - Overheating Issue

McKenzie

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yesterday My '93 5.0 started to overheat almost 5 minutes after being put in the water. I shut it down before it hit 200 degrees, and put it on the trailer and went home. Today, I took the impeller off, and found it was burnt up ( see pic ) I backflushed the system from the engine compartment (where the sterndrive feeds the thermostat housing). The water flowed perfectly fine back out to the impeller housing. I hooked up the muffs and water flowed fine into the impeller housing. The exhaust manifolds each flowed well too. So, I gather there is no restriction. I put on a new impeller, hooked up the muffs, and water still didn't flow to the thermostat, even when turning the engine over. If I started the engine, and gave it a rev or two, water would start to flow very well and remain that way. Its like the impeller lost its "prime" or something. So i hooked the sterndrive feed upto the thermostat housing again, and if I let it idle long enough, water would stop gushing and start to trickle out the bellows, and the engine temp would climb. I would give it a rev, the bellows would gush water for a while, and the temp would fall to 150 again. Sit for another 3 mins in idle, the bellows would stop gushing, and start to trickle, engine temp would climb, and a good rev would fix it again. It seems like the impeller is loosing a prime. Any Ideas?<br /><br />BTW, the impeller in the picture was replaced last year too.

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander
Re: OMC Cobra - Overheating Issue

You need to change the whole impeller housing and plate, not just the impeller.

McKenzie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I should have specified, I installed a impeller KIT: base plate and gasket, rubber wierd shaped o-ring seal, and the metal shell that the impeller rides in. The only thing not replaced was the plastic housing that the metal shell gets gued into.

Shawdaddy

Seaman Apprentice

Have ya got the impeller fins turned the right way? If ya have em turned backwards it will pull water, but at higher rpm's and won't pull at lower rpm's. Happened to me one time ;)

lilmandavis

Chief Petty Officer

hows the housing on the drive itself. behind the impeeler insert?

Deltat911

Cadet

Wow, sounds familiar here, today! Tuned up my 87 4 Winns 3.0 omc, and started it quickly to see if it would start, ran for about 1-2 mins while I adjusted the distributor, and now overheat. I didnt know that you needed constant water through the muffs. Took off the impeller housing and boy does it look like crap. Impeller wasnt melted, but it is off center in the chrome thing that it rides in and the chrome insert is warped. Is the chrome thing supposed to be perfectly round and is the impeller supposed to be oversize? It doesnt look right to me.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Deltat911,OMC impellers look like that.I thought the same thing the first time i changed one.<br />The chrome housing is more eggshaped,and the rubber fins are twisted in there..<br />Make sure the fins are turned the same way when you replace it!If its wrong it will not pump....

Deltat911

Cadet

Eww, it just doesnt look right to me at all! So the fins kind of get crushed in there after you coat them with some lubricant? I connected the muffs to the stern drive with the impeller cover off and no water made its way up to the housing, it doesnt get water anywhere near the impeller at all, and nothing at the thermostat housing (obviously) and this all occurred all of a sudden, with me dumbass not hooking the muffs up to it.

Shawdaddy

Seaman Apprentice

The impeller is supposed to be bigger than the housing. You have to actually turn(squeeze) the impeller fins into the housing. And you have to make sure the fins are turned the same way when you took it off. If you have the impeller housing off, it won't pump water up. It has to be a closed system and it creates a vacume to pull the water up.

Deltat911

Cadet

Aha, well that helps a lot, Im still going to get a new housing and impeller kit, I dont like the way it looks, like I said, I pretty much did it myself and theres some melted plastic in there, so the manual says to lube it, and turn it into the housing clockwise, which I did, but I think its junk, and I didnt seal it back up, all I wanted was some water to finish timing the engine, but no dice. Thanks for you help, and Ill let you know how I make out!

McKenzie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Im pretty sure i got the impeller in correctly.<br />I put the impeller on the shaft and i spun the housing clockwise over the impeller until it contacted the baseplate and kept turning it clock wise until the bolt holes lined up.<br /><br />Done this way the impeller fins are trailing instead of pushing, is that correct orientation?

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

The direction of the blades is fine. You are supposed to line up the impeller drive wedge(pointing downwards) with the lower mounting hole first. Place the impeller in the housing and line up the wedge hole before assembling. You need OMC Gasket sealing compound on the seals and screws. Nowhere does it say to lubricate the impeller in my manual.

McKenzie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Today I took the impeller out of the housing again, and luckily i didnt burn this one up yet. I then bolted the impeller housing back up to the drive with no impeller in it, hooked up the muffs and pulled the feed hose off the thermostat housing. No water came out. If I lowered the hose into the bilge, water would start to pour out, like it would catch a siphon. Is this normal?

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

Was you engine running? Your main water pump has to run.

McKenzie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No the engine wasnt running, but would that matter? The hose I was checking was the one coming from the power steering cooler, not the exhaust manifold or the really large hose. The hose feeding the power steering cooler comes from the bellhousing, so I figured that the engine should have no effect on this since the impeller had been removed (for test purposes)

lilmandavis

Chief Petty Officer

sounds like that hose is plugged up with something.

brownies

Chief Petty Officer

I thought an impeller would "right itself" on startup if the blades were bent the wrong way during installation. <br />Surely I haven't been lucky enough to install that many impellers accidentally correclty?<br />I've never paid any attention to the blade direction when installing.

Purduebarry

Petty Officer 1st Class

To your point brownie, the splines on mine are straight, they would bend when inserted. Perhaps there are some which are bent out there?

Deltat911

Cadet

Well, bought a new pump housing and impeller kit, installed it according to the manual, and Bingo! It worked perfectly! It was a pretty easy job, and thanks for everyones help!