OMC Cobra outdrive for 1994 Four Winns Candia

arrkerr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1994 Four Winns Candia 194 with the 5.0 EFI. I love this boat. We had a 'clunk' in the outdrive last year and took it to a mechanic. The mecanic pulled the outdrive and then left my boat outside all year, and never fixed it, and then left it in a parking lot and told us to come and get it - but he didn't give us back the outdrive! This is clearly a potential lawsuit, but ignoring that now have a boat missing a pretty critical item. I could part it out, the motor is probably worth as much as the boat alone, but this was a pretty rare always barn stored boat so the interior was in great shape, I love the layout of the boat (that front end is just so much nicer than my friend's typical triangle speed boat - and it turns in to a bed). And the 5.0 EFI (I specifically love fuel injection after years of carb problems on my last boat) is a dream.

So to the questions.

What am I looking for when searching for a new outdrive. Are all of the OMC Cobra outdrives the same?

The mechanic says you have to pull the engine to put on a new outdrive. This sounds like BS, I've pulled them before on a merc and only had to worry about alignment. Is he right or just lying to us again?

I've seen people post with the same 5.0 EFI that claim they have a volvo/penta outdrive - is that a drop-in replacement and something I should be looking for?

Anyone want to buy a boat? ;)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You happen to have a picture of the old outdrive or the the existing pivot housing? That will tell you everything.

There were some of the joint venture drives that came out in 94. Pray you have that one...way better drive.

You don't have to pull the engine if they just pulled the drive.