OMC Cobra Mechanic In Seattle? - LONG

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeattleMatt

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello,

Anyone recommend an OMC Cobra mechanic to replace my Cobra Transom Seal?

Anyone have an estimate of how much this should cost?

I've just purchased an OMC Cobra 4.3L where the PO informed me that there is a very slow leak from the bottom of the transom plate. I've read all about the horror stories of transom rot and Cobra's being generally a bad purchase. However I really like the boat and I got a reasonable price, and the PO informed me that the boat has been very reliable and has no problems.

My previous boat was Reinell Mercruiser which I replaced the motor and many other things on, I just don't want to work on the OMC because I don't have the energy to pull another engine.

Before I get flamed for purchasing such a POS. I would like to note that I did a basic hammer test on the transom and it sounds solid all around. I think the problem has just begun and I'd like to catch it before it becomes serious...I hope.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Robj

Lieutenant
Re: OMC Cobra Mechanic In Seattle? - LONG

There is an excellent mechanic who lives in the Seattle area, he also happens to be a moderator for this forum. I am sure he will chime in soon.

Have a great day,

Rob.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Howdy,

It's somewhat unlikely it's a transom seal. They usually don't leak unless something else is wrong....like a rotten transom or crack somewhere....It's frequently a lower shift cable boot, U-joint bellows or exhaust "Y" etc.....

There's not a lot of "OMC" mechanics around. If you can't fix it yourself you might be well advised to just take it to Olympic Boat Centers or other reputable place that will possibly give you some sort of warranty on work performed.

I can't tell you if they will work on it though....a lot of the bigger dealers don't even want to fool with OMC drives these days.

If they really have to replace the transom seal they'll need to pull the drive, engine and gimbal in that order. Literally EVERYTHING has to come out to get to the transom seal. It probably won't be cheap. But it only takes a few of hours to pull all that stuff and maybe double that to put it all back together. Add the lower shift cable adjustments and new bellows/raw pump etc......maybe 10 hours + parts and a couple of trips back to get the lower shift cable re-adjusted after they screw it up the first time...

I did all of that on my OMC Cobra too (pull it out that is) It took less than an hour to pull the drive....very easy.....another 2 hours to disconnect and remove the engine and another 2 hours to remove the gimbal/transom plate. (I have a 3000 sqft shop and a neat over head chain hoist)

I'm not going to "dog" you for buying yourself a Cobra......but to be honest, if you have problems it's not going to be cheap to fix and it will be hard to find people and parts to fix it.

Regards,

Rick

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

I did have that same leak but the owner tagged some rocks to cause it. just dislodged the outer housing a tad.Needed to remove everything and replace the seal.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

I would call Birchard & Agee marine services, they are on W. Commodore way on the Magnolia side of Salmon Bay.....
I used to moor my boat at Salmon Bay Marina & there was an older guy who used to work on them, but it moved about two years ago, still on Commodore way but down past the old Marco shipyard on the right hand side......
Worth a shot, he was still there last year & was a really nice, helpful guy......:):)

SeattleMatt

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for all the input. I think I will call some of the local shops and see what they charge. Basically if i can get it don for <$1k I'd rather have someone else do it. The boat has really close quarters in the bilge so I am not looking forward to doing it myself. I guess i could just do it one day at a time.

Does the leg have to come off to pull the motor on OMC Cobra?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yes, the drive SHOULD come off before pulling the engine. If you don't, you take a chance of damaging the rubber in the coupler.
But the drive has to come off to pull the transom shield anyway. Besides, the drive is a 10 to 15 minute job and the easiest thing to do in the complete project.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

It would take 10-15 min for a normal person......it took me longer to remove the 6 nuts on the drive and the rear trim actuator through bolt.......but I move really slow!

Yes, the drive SHOULD come off before pulling the engine. If you don't, you take a chance of damaging the rubber in the coupler.
But the drive has to come off to pull the transom shield anyway. Besides, the drive is a 10 to 15 minute job and the easiest thing to do in the complete project.

SeattleMatt

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for all the input. I remeber on the Merc, i had to set it to neutral for the shiftlinkage and, it was always a hassle to get it to stay in place while balancing the leg. It sounds like this may be easer, at least that's one piece of good news.

Now I guess i need to find a manual for this pos, I heard the Clymer was bad, any suggestions on that?

Best thing is, i'm a boat owner again, yay.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Matt,

I bought my (OEM) OMC manual from ebay. It was a copy. Then (wouldn't you know it?) an excellent shape original manual showed up a week or two later!! My luck runneth over!!

There's several people there (some dealers) that sell old manuals. Just do a search.

You can also do a search for the "Stuart Hastings Cobra" article online. It may also help you depending on the year model. My 87 King Cobra is a clutch dog model. If yours is a lot newer it may be a cone clutch model and the Hasting article won't apply.

btw, my King Cobra didn't care what gear it was in for removal.

Regards,

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.