OMC Cobra lubrication

McKenzie

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi, I'm in the process of de-winterizing my boat and wanted to fully lube the sterndrive. With my Clymers manual, I was able to change the gear oil, lube the splines and u-joints, but I can't find the specific grease for the gimbal bearing(zirc fittings on the starboard side). My manual calls for OMC Wheel Bearing Grease, but all I can find at West Marine and some other places around here is Pennzoil Marine Multi-Purpose Grease. It says it works on trailer wheel bearings, but will it work for a gimbal bearing? Also, how many pumps of the grease gun do you put into the gimbal bearing? Did I miss any lubing spots? Anything else before I put her in the water? Thanks!

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: OMC Cobra lubrication

u can use any wheel bearing grease. omc doesn't make their own, they just put their label on it. 5 or 6 pumps on the grease gun should suffice. just recheck the lower unit gear level to make sure u got it filled. sometimes an air bubble will develop & the lube will look full on the dipstick when it's really not.

PT

Seaman
Re: OMC Cobra lubrication

while we are on the subject , i cant get my gimbal bearing to except grease( OMC also)I took the grease fitting out & pushed a small rod into the extension it screws into & forced what grease was in the extension out , but all i could get back in it was what i forced out after re-installing the grease fitting. Any ideals what i can do to get grease in there? Can i put something in there to loosen up the grease if its gotten hard & stopped up.