OMC Cobra Lower Unit Problems

offcrtodd

Recruit
I have a 1990 OMC cobra and when I went to change the oil in the lower unit, I removed the drain plug and instead of gear oil coming out, it was first about a pint of water and then the oil came out. I went ahead and changed the gear oil anyway and it seems to be fine. It this normal to get water in there?? If not, what needs to be done to fix the problem??? :confused:

tylerin

Commander
Re: OMC Cobra Lower Unit Problems

No this isn't normal. When you said you changed oil and everything seems fine, did you take the boat out again, did you run the motor on the muffs, or neither one

offcrtodd

Recruit

I actually did both. First I hooked up the muffs just to make sure it was ok and then I took it out in on the lake and it was fine.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

todd....there should be NO water in the lower unit. You have a problem there and are apt to destroy the lower unit if not repaired. Most likey leaky seals.

tylerin

Commander

Water got in there somehow. My experience is that these problems don't go away. When you changed the oil did you happend to change the seals on the fill plug, drain plug, or dipstick plug.Just looking for something you might have done different.

jeremyp111

Seaman

I agree as stated above, there should be NO water in the lower unit. There IS a problem if you have water in there. Most likely seals need to be replaced.<br /><br />How many hours have you run it since you changed the gear lube? Drain the oil again to see if there is any water in there. Tell us what you find.<br /><br />JP