OMC Cobra Gimble Lube

Jan Kruse

Recruit
We have an 18' 1990 Bayliner Capri which we purchased used early this spring. It has a 4 cylinder Ford engine with an OMC Cobra outdrive. No power steering. The boat is very hard to steer at slow speed. We had the boat professionally serviced prior to launching and assumed that everything was well greased, but after reading the many posts on this forum we're beginning to wonder. Our question is, does anyone know if there may be a grease fitting somewhere other than the obvious one on the side of the outdrive. We have disconnected the outdrive and the steering wheel turns freely. The boat is kept on a hydrohoist. Our manual is less than informative on this subject.

Lark40

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: OMC Cobra Gimble Lube

That's the only fitting I know of. My Cobra has power steering, so I can't advise you on the effort.<br /><br />Clymer makes a good Cobra manual.

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade

does it steer hard with the drive up or down when running, or both? if it only does it with the drive tilted up, that's normal. also grease the steering ram in the engine compartment.

Jan Kruse

Recruit

It's hard steering at slow speeds with the outdrive tilted down. We have greased the ram many times and the steering is loose with the outdrive disconnected. Thank you for your input. Our other runabout had power steering so we thought perhaps this was the nature of the beast (so to speak) but we've talked to several people and they disagree. I guess what we're trying to find out if there is a bad part that would cause this problem, other than lack of grease.