OMC Cobra Drive vs Mercruiser Alpha 1

moosejaw

Cadet
If a person had the option of either drive in 2 boats that had everything else exactly the same, which would be a better choice..the Cobra or the Alpha 1?

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Re: OMC Cobra Drive vs Mercruiser Alpha 1

thats a no brainer.... the alpha

why buy a drive that's been obsolete for over 10 years?

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,....

A Dead horse or a running horse,..??..??

OMC has been out of Business for over 10 Years.....

Definitely a No Brainer....

mthieme

Captain

T-daddy where are you?
Get out of the head.
You're needed here!
Someone is considering an OMC I/O.
:)

I'm the only one here that likes OMC (Cobra) I/O's.
Can't argue with Alpha since that's the majority of what's out there. Parts are plentiful and you'll need 'em.
I'll stick to my simpler obsolete Cobra...20 years later and only a cable and bellows kit.
But then again, I have obsolete lighting, heating, tractors, house, wife....she calls me Charles Ingles.

Uraijit

Banned

If you buy the OMC you'll hate yourself for it until you get rid of it--probably even after that.

Not 1 single good reason to buy OMC. Hell, I'd think long and hard before taking one for free...

achris

More fish than mountain goat

....I'm the only one here that likes OMC (Cobra) I/O's.
Can't argue with Alpha since that's the majority of what's out there. Parts are plentiful and you'll need 'em.
Rubbish... In the 14 years I had my previous Alpha I only put a bellows and a front seal in it... I still service the engine for the new owner and he loves it...
I'll stick to my simpler obsolete Cobra....

Simple obsolete things for simple obsolete people :D:D:D (no offense intended, I just couldn't resist)

Chris..........

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

There's not a lot mechanically wrong with a good running Cobra.

Mine went 18 years or so with no (drive) problems.

The big problem is THE COMPANY IS OUT OF BUSINESS! some parts are simply not available (new) at any price. If you need one of those parts, you're simply SCREWED. You HAVE to use used parts.

If you cannot work on it yourself, you have to take it to a service person that may say:
$Sure, $$ we can $$ work $$ on OMC $$ Cobras $$$!!

Just say no. get yourself a boat with a Volvo Penta or Mercruiser eng/drive.

Cheers,

Rick

mthieme

Captain

The only part I can't find are the trim cylinder caps.
Thought I was going to need them this year...but it's okay for now.

Achris - at least I don't have to drill holes in my gimbal housing to get to the nuts and use a chisel to tap them off! Yea Alpha!

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Of course, I wouldn't tell someone to buy one now, but mine has been little trouble for a 20 year old drive, used and slipped in salt water for about 1/2 of its life. I've done the bellows, trim lines, some seals, bearing retainer, and a set of manifolds. It's too bad that the Cobra had the cable problems early on, because once they are set up right they shift very well, better than some Merc Alphas I have been around. I'm going to keep running this one as long as I can get parts.....BTW, I see now that Sierrra Marine is making a complete upper gear housing for Cobras....I hope they do the lowers too....so I can keep the old tub going without having to do a complete re-fit to Merc.
I've researched the Volvo conversion, and work wise it's the best option, since you don't have to pull the engine and only change the pivot housing on the drive, but the Volvo is so much more expensive to start with, unless you can get a good used SX it's hard to justify with SEI Alphas out there for 1200 or so....

mthieme

Captain

If I were looking at a used boat that had a Cobra on the back, it wouldn't be a show stopper for me. (I know where spares are sitting!)

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

I agree with the Mercruiser crowd. A simple test would be to ask at any local marina - see if they even have any techs willing to work on the Cobra. That may easily solve your problem.