OMC Cobra Bellcrank alignment

Status
Not open for further replies.

4Winns2

Petty Officer 1st Class
I know that the lower shift cable matter on Cobras and Merccruisers has been given a fair amount of attention on this site. But the knowledge base is a little thin when it comes to the following aspect of the process.

Background: With the OMC manual in hand, I just flipped out a new- -red- -OEM OMC lower shift cable on my 4.3 Cobra. (More like I flipped out trying to snake that damn thing through the transom).I've got the pivot housing all re-assembled and I'm not ready to align the bell crank at 90 degrees for neutral and measure out the shift cable at the engine to 7 9/16".

Problem: I do not have, nor have access too, the OMC tools- -bell crank alignment & shift cable holder- -that would make this part of the job much easier. All the research (I'm Googled out, man) I've done doesn't really illustrate well how to use a T square in lieu of the alignment at the outdrive. And, before you ask, yes, I've studied Stuart's Website extensively but he is vague on how to execute this portion of the job.

Does any one have a picture or a more detailed explanation of how execute these adjustments that are crucial to assuring that I'm in neutral when I'm done? Thanks in advance for your expertise.

4Winns2

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: OMC Cobra Bellcrank alignment

Bump. Sorry that this is yet another lower shift cable thread but I need some help, gentlemen.

zbnutcase

Commander

The bellcrank simply needs to be at a right angle to the drive mounting gasket surface; I used to eyeball it before I got the tool, never had a prob.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Eyeball is not good enough. It is really nice to have the tool if you can get your hands on it. If you can't, get a square. You want it as close as you can get it.

4Winns2

Petty Officer 1st Class

The bellcrank simply needs to be at a right angle to the drive mounting gasket surface; I used to eyeball it before I got the tool, never had a prob.

I would agree with you on the eyeball. I'm pretty sure I can eyeball 90 degrees and only be off a degree or two at best. To be sure though, I'll get a square, as bruceb58 mentions below, and have some peace of mind putting the drive back on. Thanks.

4Winns2

Petty Officer 1st Class

Eyeball is not good enough. It is really nice to have the tool if you can get your hands on it. If you can't, get a square. You want it as close as you can get it.

I've read about the use of a square but where do you place on the pivot housing?

a70eliminator

Captain

It's important that the belcrank line up perfectly with shift rod fork, I used masking tape and made a transfer template, when all was done it does end up 90 degrees. It would pretty hard to measure it any other way. Here's a link to the thread I made a long time ago with some nice pictures.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=293502

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

It's important that the belcrank line up perfectly with shift rod fork, I used masking tape and made a transfer template, when all was done it does end up 90 degrees. It would pretty hard to measure it any other way. Here's a link to the thread I made a long time ago with some nice pictures.
Very nice!

4Winns2

Petty Officer 1st Class

Now that is creative- -well done. I'm still hoping to borrow this tool from someone locally here in Syracuse. I'd like to splash this weekend and can't wait on shipping should I buy one over the Web. Thanks for your valuable input.

Cosmo Downunder

Recruit

Great. Is the measurement 7-13/64 you refer to in neutral, reverse or forward??

"Start off with the 7-13/64 height adjustment on your shift rod"

Any any other tips you can give us for changing the shift cable would be great. :) Thankyou.

Status
Not open for further replies.