OMC Cobra 5.7 Liter (won't crank)

I have a 1991 OMC Cobra 5.7 liter (350 Chevy).<br />It ran well all weekend. Suddenly it will not turnover. Like a dead battery , but the battery is hot. Is there some kind of by-pass or interrupt switch that will keep it from turning over? What are the switches mounted on the shift cable next to the carb? Please help.

jeremyp111

Seaman
Re: OMC Cobra 5.7 Liter (won't crank)

I had a similar problem with my 88 OMC Cobra 5.7. I thought I had a dead battery, but it turned out that I was getting water in the cylinders and it hydrolocked the engine. This happens because water does not compress so when you turn the key to start it won't turn over. Check your battery and pull your plugs to see if they are wet. Hope this helps.<br /><br />JP

Thanks, But I can turn it with the belts by hand. I think it's some kind of electrical shut off not allowing the starter to get current.

Lark40

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Just solved a similar problem with my Cobra.<br /><br />Would start fine some times, but other times, nothing - not even a solenoid click.<br /><br />Did all the usual ESA troubleshooting, and then gave up and took it to an old OMC dealer.<br /><br />The shift cable was kinked at the pivot. This can apparently shut down both the starter and the ignition.<br /><br />Had them pull the sterndrive and install a new cable. Cost $700, but solved the problem.

foresteronw

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I had a similar problem like this with my 1989 OMC 5.7L. I thought I had a dead battery, replaced it (wanted two anyway) and still didn't fix the problem. Turned out the housing on the starter was cracked. Bought a new one and ran perfect.

McKenzie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

First thing I would check is if you are getting power to the starter. If you have a multimeter or 12v test light, check the smaller of the two wires on the starter for 12v when you turn the key. Do you hear a click at the starter when you turn the key? Did you try giving the starter a "love tap" with a mallet?

jeremyp111

Seaman

You need to check to see if the power is getting to the starter, if not then check the starter assist solenoid. This solenoid closes to give the starter power when the key is turned. This is also a common issue with the starting problems. If there's no power at the starter assist solenoid then keep tracing back to the battery. I believe you also have two 50amp fuse holders on the top of the engine. If you do, then check these as well. You may have a loose connection there that will give you the same problem. Good luck.<br /><br />JP

Thanks Jeremy,<br />That was it. One of the 50 amp fuse holders was disconnected. The wire holder was loose.

jeremyp111

Seaman

Dennis,<br /><br />Glad you found the problem. That one killed me for a month before I figured it out. If it's loose then you might want to replace it because it may only be a matter of time before it fails completely. Mine started out to be loose, but then it got worse and then finally it just went. There's a lot of juice going through that connection.<br /><br />JP