OMC Cobra 5.0 Belts Break Constantly!!

teddings

Recruit
Can anyone please help me with a persistant problem...I have to keep replacing the alternator belt on a 94' Four Winns. It's getting worse and worse, at first it was about a belt a summer. I took the boat to a mechanic and they said the pulleys were rusted and it was eating the belts (sounds logical)...but it started breaking again, they changed the belts and assured me that the pulleys were in line (something I think is the problem). What could be the cause of frying these belts so fast?? If anyone has any experience with this type of problem ANY thoughts would be appreciated greatly.

johnkc

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: OMC Cobra 5.0 Belts Break Constantly!!

teddings ,are you running dual batteries with the switch in the all position?

teddings

Recruit

There is only 1 battery, I'm not using a switch. I take the battery out to make sure it is charged after a belt break and keep a charged jump starter onboard. Also, it looks like it would take 3 belts, but the mechanic says it should only have 2. Do you know how many belts this engine should have? The more I think about it the more I feel it has to be a mis-aligned alternator...the only problem is that I have to take the whole seat and engine compartment off to get a good look at the alignment. Do you think a pulley could have different V angle than the belt and cause it to be eaten every time out?

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

You could be over tightening the belt. You should be able to see the other things you mentioned very easily.

foresteronw

Petty Officer 3rd Class

did you check to see if there is any rust or gooves on your pulleys. This might tear up a belt.

magster65

Commander

I almost hate to suggest this but make sure your crankshaft isn't 'walking' in and out (due to a worn thrust bearing). It'll do that to your belts.

chris in va

Chief Petty Officer

No, I know exactly what you're talking about. It's the pulley rusting. I just bought my 94 Caravelle with the Volvo/OMC 5.0 and he mentioned it eating belts twice a summer due to the rust on the pulley. He even included 5 spare belts with the boat.<br /><br />As for changing that sucker out, on my boat I'd have to remove that bulkhead thing which would take all friggin day to do. Shoot, even the spark plugs took me over an hour!

wvit100

Chief Petty Officer

a friend of mine had a Wellcraft with a 454 that would do the same thing. The pulleys looked a little rusted but not bad. The belts would roll up like a rope and then burn and break. It ended up being the pulley was out of line, new pulleys and it was fine.