OMC Cobra 305/350 Coil wiring

fierodough

Cadet
Good day!

I have a question about the ignition coil wiring on my OMC Cobra 305.

On the positive terminal, one lead goes to the starter solenoid and the other to the resistor line then to the alternator.

on the ground side, one lead goes to the distributor and the other to the tach.

My question is about the process of killing the coil to stop the engine. There is a purple wire that goes from the key switch, through the harness and into the resistor splice of the coil to alternator. Does this wire short the power source to ground in order to stop the engine? and if so, does this not create a short the whole time they key is in the off position? That would not make sense?

Please help me understand. I'm redoing some wiring hacks from the previous owner and trying to return everything back to original as much as possible.

Thank you!

Attachments

• Cobrawiring1.jpg
    Cobrawiring1.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 9

Bondo

Staff member
There is a purple wire that goes from the key switch, through the harness and into the resistor splice of the coil to alternator. Does this wire short the power source to ground in order to stop the engine?
Nope,..... No grounding, it cuts the power from the key switch to kill the motor,....

fierodough

Cadet
Nope,..... No grounding, it cuts the power from the key switch to kill the motor,....
I guess I'm not understanding the wiring diagram above. Where the purple and red/purple go into a splice (I am assuming the resistor) and then to the alternator. From the alternator, there should be 12V there all the time no? So if power is cut from the purple wire, there is still power from the alternator going to the purple / red wire and to the coil.

I'm clearly missing something.