OMC blueish green engine paint source

jmeydenbauer

Seaman Apprentice
I've got a '77 OMC Ford powered 351w that I'd like to repaint. I'm not going to paint everything so I'd like the color to be close. None of the local autoparts stores carries a paint that is close to matching this color. The color is a blueish green. Does anyone know what color this is and where I can find paint to match it?

DHPMARINE

Captain
Re: OMC blueish green engine paint source

James,Try an automotive PAINT/autobody store.From what my friends tell me,they can match any color,and even put it in a spray can (aerosol).<br /> If you are near central Ma.,I can email a place for you to try.<br /><br />DHP

jmeydenbauer

Seaman Apprentice

I tried that and the guy said the stuff they mix may not holdup to the heat of the engine. I told him it was for a boat and I didn't think that the motor got too hot. He recommended using a paint made for engines. Do other people use this method and does it holdup well?

f_inscreenname

Commander

It is Ford blue that has faded by sea air and such. Good luck on matching it. I bet it lighter to darker from top to bottom. I have had a couple Chevy's, 5 or 6 Fords and a Chrysler or two. My first rebuilt motor was a beautiful Ford blue that was messed up in a week from drippings from the first oil change . Do yourself a favor and paint it a gloss black (I know you have to do the whole thing) take off or mask off what you have to then spray away. It doesn't have to be a perfect spray job, motor painting is very forgiving and what you cant spray use the same paint with a brush. Like I said motor painting is very forgiving and IMHO black looks the best in a boat blue always look dirty.

jmeydenbauer

Seaman Apprentice

Well someone else must have repainted it at one time. I found some spots under the existing paint where it was in fact a ford blue. It's going back to the ford blue.