OMC 90 HP / Total Voltage Breakdown

mrbarth

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all,<br />while fighting 2 problems (starting my 1990/ 90HP OMC engine and my native language German), I got the Seloc Manual, traced the wiring diagram, found the unknown word rectifier (sounded like something for old men), checked the web and found this great forum. Maybe someone could help ?<br /><br />I got this old engine since 9 moths, was running OK. Got the boat out because of Charlie etc. Now<br />I want to get it in again. Just for fun, I changed the lower unit oil and the sparks, some fuel hoses and then tried to start the engine.<br /><br />Imagine:<br />I pump the fuel, turn the key to run, the warning horn sounds, I turn to start, the starter rotates and the engine starts roaring. I stop it after a few second. :) <br />I turn the key again to run, no horn, I turn to start, nothing. Pressing the Trim/Tilt switch at the engine results in the relays clickering. I have 12 V at the battery, at the starter selenoid, both staying whatever I do with the key. I disabled the cut switch a the gear lever, the dead man switch, checked all cabling, changed the battery. nothing.<br /><br />While I'm looking frustrated at engine, I suddenly hear the horn again (I left tje key in run position). The trim/tilt switch is working again. The starter works. Sometimes it's dead for an hour, sometimes for 10 min. Yesterday I got nothing the whole afternoon. :( <br /><br />This is beyond my understanding. :confused: <br /><br />Oh, maybe this helps:<br />2 or 3 times, while checking at places where I expected 12 Volt, my meter freaked out telling me someting about several 100 V (DC), but suddenly that was gone again.<br /><br />Any ideas where to go for searching would be appreciated.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: OMC 90 HP / Total Voltage Breakdown

Check all ground connections, are there wing nuts on the battery connectors?

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like a bad battery connection. You are probably measuring the voltage everywhere without a load. I suspect that if you check the voltage at the starter while trying to start, as soon as you go to the start position the voltage would disappear. Take apart and clean all the positive and negative connections between the battery and engine.

mrbarth

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks so far, yes I have wing-nuts. I read the recommendations her o replace them an are about to do it. Although I thougt they are only a problem in the long run, due to vibrations etc ?<br /><br />I'll follow your hints this afternoon and use real nuts.<br /><br />Although I thought if I put the ign.key back to off, at least the trim/til motor should work again, as there is less load on the bat. contacts ?

mrbarth

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You guys are just great and I'm stupid.<br />Although not really a believer, I sandpapered the<br />eye?-metal things at the end of the bat, the bat contacts itself and those at starter and solenoid.<br /><br />And guess what ? Engine started to roar after a few secs turning. And that 3 times in a row !!!!<br /><br />THANK YOU !!! R.Johnson and L.I. Chuck

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Thanks for getting back to us with the results as many do not & stop by from time to time.

mrbarth

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Will do, propably will have no choice anyway. ;) <br />Next thing I'll try is getting a new impeller (water pump) in. (No idea when it was done last time)<br /><br />BUT FIRST I MUST go on the water tomorrow to be "at sea" again after that long time.<br /><br />Thanks again