OMC 800 upper gearcase oil leak

powderhombre

Seaman Apprentice
hello, bought a first boat and I am going through everything. I haven't been in the water yet, trying to get it all right first. changed fluids in the outdrive and saw that the upper case was empty, this caused concern of course, but boat has been in storage for a few years. filled everything up and saw the uppercase is leaking. it appears to be the ball gear seal, and I saw some coming out of the swivel gear grease port, but I think this is just residue that found it's way in there. questions are: if I keep it topped off can it be ran? I believe it is above waterline, so no water in. what are your feelings on the seal fix additives sold in auto stores? can this seal be bought at most bearing supply houses? I have manual so if I can get the boat out a couple of times yet this year, perhaps this winter will find me rebuilding drive.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Re: OMC 800 upper gearcase oil leak

I saw some coming out of the swivel gear grease port, but I think this is just residue that found it's way in there.
I suspect you are correct there.
I believe it is above waterline, so no water in. what are your feelings on the seal fix additives sold in auto stores?
No, the entire drive is under the water. Pressure test the drive and replace all faulty seals.
No to the additives.
can this seal be bought at most bearing supply houses?
Probably. Should be enough left of the old one when you remove it that they can match it for you.

powderhombre

Seaman Apprentice
Re: OMC 800 upper gearcase oil leak

thanks for the reply. I am a bit confused though. when drive is in down position operation, the leak is evident with dripping from above and lands on anti ventilation plate. raise the drive and look up and see the ball gear seal is wet and under the seal, the dirt is washed away. suspect bad seal there. now, wipe every thing clean and leave drive up, transport position over night and no leak is observed! confused by this as ball gear seal is now at bottom dead center and should be leaking, right? so drive only leaks while down. what are your thoughts on this?