OMC 5.8?

Cadet
I am looking at a 95' boat with the 5.8 ford block in it. The dealer said it was made by omc and volvo in a combined effort. I think its just omc, and was wondering what you guys thought about this setup. Im used to 5.7 blocks, so im nervous about switching.<br />BTW, it a 255 hp

motox6

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: OMC 5.8?

In 94 volvo bought out OMC, so it would be true.

Bondo

Staff member

Personally,<br />I've Never liked a Ford Motor............<br />And,<br />I liked OMCs even Less..........................<br /><br />BTW,<br />Volvo Never "Bought Out" OMC.......<br />OMC just went Belly Up...............<br /><br />The Canucks bought the Outboard div. of OMC.......<br />The Outdrive div. of OMC just Evaporated..................... :rolleyes:

JasonB

Lieutenant

Nothing wrong with the motor. (sorry Bondo respectfully disagree on the motor :) Ford fan and owner of a 30 year old Mercruiser/Ford 302 here). The engine is a marinized 351 Windsor. Good solid motor, just not the most used marine motor out there. Can't speak to the drive, so I will bow to others on it. I understand that one of the weaknesses are the shift cables getting out of whack and eating gears.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Actually what I heard was that OMC and Volvo formed a joint venture about 93 or so, and jointly made the OMC Cobra/Volvo Cobra SX (same drive different color) and after a few years, OMC sold the whole thing, factories and all to Volvo, so today's Volvo SX is pretty much the same thing as the 2nd generation OMC Cobra and is built in the factories that OMC sold to Volvo. If you don't believe me, go check the part #s over on www.dougrussell.com in the years 94 to about 98 or so pretty much all the part#s are the same for the Volvo SX and OMC Cobra.

Dunaruna

Admiral

Volvo entered into a joint venture in 1994 with OMC in the U.S. and produced the SX and DP-s. They where basically volvo guts in an OMC outer case. The partnership fizzled when OMC went belly up (1998?).<br /><br />Aldo

outboardguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Omc produced their own Cobra drive with clutch dogs in the lower for shifting.That drive is the one to avoid.Then Omc and Volvo partnered and produced a Cobra drive with a cone clutch in the upper.That drive is the one to stick with.If you pull off the rear cover(three bolts) you will either find a water pump housing or shift linkage. The one with the W/P housing is the OMC.And the one with shift linkage is the VOMC.As far as the engine goes I see no problem as long as it's been maintained.

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

Actually OMC started getting into the cone clutch on their own in 1990 when they came out with the King Cobra cone clutch model and then they also had a 5.7 model, this was before they ventured together with Volvo, you could tell these ones because they had hump on top instead of being flat and the water pump is belt driven off the engine instead of being in the drive. Volvo did end up buying out OMC's sterndrive business before OMC went out of busness.

Mercathode

Petty Officer 1st Class

ratherbfishin<br />The 351OMC has 235 HP and like anything else if properly maintained would provide great service. My '95 302 has 600hrs no prob.