Omc 5.7 cobra. 1992 sunbird.

Teacher48

Cadet
No spark. Coil resistance checks out on both primary and secondary coils. 12 volts to distributor, test light blinks when connecting to + line at distributor and - at distributor and engine is cranked. Bench tested coil for spark with old and a brand new coil with condenser attached to set up. Both give faint spark from spark plug , both about the same so I’m assuming old coil is ok. Battery is putting out about 12.7 volts. Points are not new but are clean. cap and rotor looks clean but not new. Had it started after winter a few times, was running on muffs, then just died and will not start. Checked gas lines, will not pop with starting fluid, definitely think spark issues. What am I missing???? Kill switch functions .

kenny nunez

Captain
You need to replace the points and condenser. Once points act as your‘s are doing it will never run. Filing the points might help but in most cases only temporary. You probably have a Prestolite distributor. NAPA will have them.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
file the points with a points file ( or your wife's nail file)

set the dwell with a dwell meter

Teacher48

Cadet
Finally got back to boat. Bought new points, condensor, rotor and cap and coil. But I noticed the following, I have 12+ volts going to coil when wires are not attached to coil, but if I attached wires to coil it drops to 5+ volts. This happens on my old coil as well as a brand new one. Any ideas? Thanks.

kenny nunez

Captain
That is what the resistor wire does. Normally when the engine is running the voltage will be around 7-8 volts on the + or bat side of the coil.

Teacher48

Cadet
Ok so I thought about that. Two wires going to + side of coil. i am assuming, one from key other is resistance wire ( red- purple in my case) that I understand goes to alternator. Checking for continuity I found wire going to alternator. Removed from alternator, no change still 5+ volts when connected to coil and still 12 volts when hot wire is not connected. Would disconnecting from coil be a better option and does resistance wire actually go to alternator. My whole premise here is that coil should be getting 12 volts when connected up and key on 1 click. Thanks for your input. I’m handy but definitely lost On this one.