OMC 400 - bi-directional water/oil leaks

kponhlo

Cadet
I rebuilt my '85 OMC upper unit with new bearings, new seals and a new impeller. While the lower was apart I replaced the back-to-back seals at the upper thrust bearing and the prop shaft, plus the o-ring at the prop housing (big) and small around the 4 bolts. Also put new gaskets at shift housing and swivel bearing. Naturally, while the lower unit was fine before I worked on it it NOW leaks water into the lower oil AND lower oil into the cooling water (I know, if it ain't broke... :rolleyes: ) The symptoms present on muffs - have not run boat in water.<br /><br />Reviewing the service steps, the only thing I forgot was to put sealer around the outside of the swivel housing. Obviously something is wrong - maybe just the sealer? Before I pull it all back apart to redo everything I already did (and possibly not fix the problem), do these symptoms indicate WHICH part or seal I should focus on? Thanks in advance (again).<br /><br />BTW, drive sounds and works great now - due in large part to support from the patient, knowledgeable folks on this board. <br /><br />-Keith