omc 4.3

chadh

Cadet
Hello All,<br /><br /> I have a 1988 omc 4.3 I/O and would like to make if fuel injection , has anyone converted a motor in a marine application ? What problems do I need to look out for? What I plan on doing is to put a throttle body on the engine and us megasquirt to control the sensors and the injectors.Would this be a safe setup?<br /><br /> Thanks Chad

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: omc 4.3

There's a loaded question!<br /><br />To make a long story short, I think you'd need a USCG approved fuel system on a boat. I personally think automotive throttle-body systems in general would be safe, but I'm not the one passing the laws. Some automotive systems might also not stand-up to the damp marine environment so well. Also, if that system needs a return line to the tank, that is definately a USCG no-no.

Lark40

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have the same engine, and thought about making various upgrades. Then I checked my bank account, and how I wanted to spend my time (some friends recently got very sick) and made the decision to just leap-frog ahead and drop in a new engine/sterndrive package.<br /><br />Certainly not the cheapest solution, but probably the best result. The EFI Volvo SX is a bolt-in replacement for the Cobra.

chadh

Cadet

Lark40,<br /><br /> Putting in a new motor nad stern drive is not an option as I have twin motors. Willy that what I was worrying about, the USCG approved throttle body.<br /> Thank Chad