OMC 305, new carb and fuel tanks now no fuel

jstcrzyengh

Seaman
Well, this weekend myself and two of my friends, one a navy diesel mechanic decide to tear the back of my boat completely apart, perform a tune up, install new larger poly tanks over the old steel ones, and fix the problems with the boat that we have been having.<br /><br />1. We found we were only running on 6 cylinders, well good reason for a lack of power and consumption<br /><br />2. the carb was toast the secondaries wouldnt even open up causing the engine to go lean at WOT, though we could never even get there.<br /><br />3. The last time we went out we "ran out of gas" and had to fill on the water, we came to find out that the tanks were completely full with fuel when we removed the tanks.<br /><br />4. The fuel filter had rust in it, so it was good that we were changing the tanks.<br /><br />So we went to removing every piece of "fluff" in the back of the boat. If you have ever seen the back of an IMP it is ALL fluff. It took three of us about five hours to just remove the interior pieces to be able to get to the tank. We than made a list of everything we needed and off to Boat us we went. They couldnt find my membership I just picked up 7 months ago and there computers were down, but I picked up the last tank they had that would fit the area and they told me to go to long beach west marine, so we leave huntington harbor, stop at norms to get line as we still think we are going out the next day, wishful thinking, we get to west marine they cant find me anywhere in their system so $109 later and I am ready to get towed if need be. Pick up the second tank, though smaller, we will still have 42 gallons of fuel, a 305 and a 19'6" boat, should be plenty for even backside of cat trips, we even pick up a new GPS.<br /><br />So we get back to garden grove about 8pm on saturday and start the ardious (sp?) journey or rebuilding. We get the new tanks in, everything is hooked up, we get the carb installed though the rebuilt carb I purchased is not quite the same quadrajet. It's missing the PCV line in the back of it and we had to create a custom bracket for it. We get the spark plugs in, and we think everything is kosher. We start putting everything back in. By this time it is literally 6am, the suns coming up and we assume, ok little sleep but some redbulls and some cuda hanging on the line and we will be fine. WRONG<br /><br />We keep trying and trying to get the engine to start. It turns over just fine and if primed the engine turns over and sounds great, but there is not fuel getting to the carb. We spend hours looking around. Finally I pull off the fuel filter to see if it is getting fuel. Nothing. So I assume its the fuel pump, $12 part, so we replace it. Still no fuel. Hmmmm Weird. We take the line off and try turning it over. The fuel pump is pumping. We are feeling plenty of pressure just no fuel. <br /><br />At one point we plugged off the loose vacuum hose that would have gone to the back of the carb to see if that was the problem. Success we had fuel, for about 2 seconds and it never worked again after that.<br />Also another issue is we are unable to fuel correctly at a service station. Is this normal? We have to pump, stop, pump, stop, pump, otherwise fuel will come shooting back at us.<br /><br />Short end to the story<br /><br /><br />No fuel is coming from the full tanks to the fuel pump. The only scenarios I can think or is:<br /><br />1. The air hoses for the tanks are somehow clogged thus causing too much vacuum for the mechanical pump, though it wasn’t a problem before.<br /><br />2. It is some sort of vacuum problem, though I am not sure how vacuum at the carb would have anything to do with fuel not getting to the mechanical fuel pump.<br /><br />3. It is the switch valve between the two tanks that might have gone bad. <br /><br />4. The Mechanical fuel pump just doesn’t have enough strength to pull fuel from these tanks efficiently… Next step was to get an automatic pump.<br /><br /><br />Any ideas? I would really like to at least get some sandbass on the boat this year :( <br /><br />We are pulling it all apart this week and hope to try new things. Than call in a professional if all else fails<br /><br />James

ziggy

Admiral
Re: OMC 305, new carb and fuel tanks now no fuel

well, i'm no mech, but think ya need to think about whats happenin here. ya got a fuel pickup tube going into the tanks, probably with a strainer that could be cloged on it. then next i think is the anti-siphon valve, it only flows one way, maybe it's stuck or on backwards. then a fuel cut off valve. it's on right?, then some hose that goes to a diverter valve. it's on too i would assume. then there may be a water seperator. it's clean w/o water in it. then it's off to the fuel pump which is new. theres probably a fuel filter of some sorts there. then up to the carb. where there may be another fuel strainer before it goes into the carb. any one of these things can be something to look at i'd think. oh, and there is the fuel tank vents too. they need to open also just as ya talked about. if pluged they will create the vacume ya talked about and not let ya suck up some fuel. quick check for that is open the gas cap and see if any change, ie runs. also i don't think the fuel is supposed to shoot back up at ya while fueling. maybe they's pluged. start with what ya know is good and work from there. there's got to be something that is restricting the flow. thats the best i can say for not being a mech. perhaps someone else has some ideas for ya.........

SeaSkwurrel

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Have you checked/replaced the fuel lines from the tanks to the pump? Also, depending on the filter assembly, maybe the pathway is clogged there.

jstcrzyengh

Seaman

Well, this system is pretty primitive. Fuel tank to hard fuel lines to the diverter valve to rubber lines to the fuel pump to a inline filter to the carb.<br /><br />At this point I think it is best to replace the whole system. Can I dump the hard fuel lines and move over to rubber or flex lines? I will also replace the fuel filler neck. If I replace the entire system and it doesnt work I am not sure where to go from there.

SeaSkwurrel

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Not sure about the fuel line replacement, maybe someone else can advise on that. Maybe you could disconnect between the tanks and the pump and test the lines with air?

jstcrzyengh

Seaman

Well, we did test to make sure that we were getting air, but I was thinking of bypassing the diverter valve and see if we get fuel that way. This would immediately point back to the diverter valve needs to be replaced, which wouldnt be that hard, if I could actually find one that is electrical online. I would hate to have to go in and manually switch between tanks, it seems the o rings would eventually break down, but maybe that is the best way to go?

ziggy

Admiral

i just read someone else's post about them haveing a kink in the fuel vent hose. cause them trouble filling it with fuel. would back up and come out the fill hole. maybe yers is kinked. also be caucious when replaceing the fuel line. the uscg has rules about how long rubber fuel lines can be if useing the uscg approved b1 hose. if ya use the a1 any length is fine. i would try to save yer metal fuel line if ya can. i had someone cut mine up and put it together rather dangerously before i got it. good luck on the elec. diverter valve. i ended up with a manual one from west marine i think. i wanted a remote or electric one to but couldn't find one. have ya checked yer fuel tank shut off valves. they are on. i couldn't tell what was on or off on mine till i took them apart and inspected them. cleaned them up and lubed them. my lever on my shut off's is parallel with the line when on, don't know about yours.

KaGee

Admiral

Check for a clogged vent line or anti-siphon valve.<br /><br />I hope you put "marine" rated fuel pump and carb on there. $12 is VERY cheap for a marine fuel pump. <br /><br />Hate to see you end up as a statistic this weekend.

jstcrzyengh

Seaman

We are heading down tomorrow to try a few things. The fuel pump is actually both automotive and marine. I have the original parts list that says you can get the part from the auto parts store. We went down and picked it up. If I decide to go to an electric pump however it will be "marine only" as it was not an OEM type part.

jstcrzyengh

Seaman

Well, here is what I am going to do as it just seems to be a lot easier. I am going to replace the filler necks as the ones I currently have are pitted, replace the breather out the back and the lines to the tanks, replace the filler lines for the tanks, and put in all new fuel lines in the back from the tanks to the diverter valve to the pump to the filter. My question is I would like to add a water/fuel seperator, where in that mix should it be? After the diverter so that it can essentially filter both tanks at once? Also is the manual fuel pump going to have a problem pushing the fuel with having to go through all of that? OR do I need to switch over to an electric pump?<br /><br />thanks <br /><br />James

KaGee

Admiral

The fuel separator should be placed in line before the fuel pump.