omc 3.0 oil and temp alarm install

Jerry San Diego

Seaman Apprentice
I have 1989 Bayliner with 3.0L omc and cobra stern drive. It does not have any alarms for the temp and oil pressure. Does any one know if there is a kit to install the alarms. Do the alarms hook up to the existing oil press and water temp sending units? If not where do you screw in the new sending units? Thanks:<br /><br />Jerry

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: omc 3.0 oil and temp alarm install

There are kits out there, West Marine sell them $$$$$$ but also has water and bilge alarms.<br />You can also make your own oil and temp alarms. Get a buzzer from RadioShack, and a normally closed oil pressure switch (5 psi) and a normally open temp switch (210° or 220°) and install them in parallel to the same buzzer. Get power from the purple wire on your ignition switch.<br />Notice those are called switches, not senders. They do a completely different job than a sender for a gauge.

Jerry San Diego

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Don:<br />Would I get the switches from an auto parts store and would I replace the sending units already in the engine, if not where would I screw the new "switches into. There in no place else on the thermostat for temp and would I have to tee off the oil sending unit some how. Thanks<br />Jerry

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yes, you can get the switches at an auto parts. No they do not replace the senders. All you do is plumb in a Tee in place of the original sender and use both sender and switch.

Jerry San Diego

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks again Don for your help will check in the auto parts store.<br />Jerry

Jerry San Diego

Seaman Apprentice

Don:<br /><br />It looks like I can put a tee in where the oil pressure sending unit is at and it will be ok. However I cant find a new plugor hole to put the temperture switch into. Dotn't know if there is enought room to put a tee in where the water temp sending unit is it don't look like it. Does the new switch have to be immerssed in water? If I can put a tee in with the old sending unit do you think it will work. Do you have any other ideas on where to hook up the new temp switch. The engine is a 3.0L omc about 1989 model.<br />Thanks <br />Jerry

kponhlo

Cadet

Jerry,<br />The switch does have to be immersed in water, but pretty much everyplace IN your cooling system should have water going thru it. If you can't get the tee in at the existing temp sender you could put a bigger tee in the water pump discharge hose then adapt the new switch into that tee. Make sure the switch and sener aren't too far out of the flowing water though (like don't put a long tube on the tee and screw the switch into that) because then the switch won't get a true reading. Hope that helps.<br /><br />Regards,<br /><br />-Keith