OMC 245 Engine

WaterLauger

Cadet
I just bought a 1974 Crestliner with an OMC 245 engine/outdrive. The guy who owned this boat didn't winterize the engine so we have a cracked block and heads. Does anyone know what the best replacement is for this engine? The serial number is V0425TBU C9Z189441. How do I find more information on this outdrive - there is plenty written on the OMC 260.<br /><br />WaterLauger

Bondo

Staff member
Re: OMC 245 Engine

What IS the 245 ????<br />Is it a Chevy based motor, Or Ford ????<br />Either Way, Find a Truck motor of the same Make,+ Vintage....

WaterLauger

Cadet

Thanks for the reply. This is a Chevy based system. I was thinking of a Napa rebuild (or other equivalent) so that I can have a fresh motor no-one has tweaked. Are there any concerns that I need to be aware of? Is there any difference between the car and boat motors?<br /><br />I called a marine shop and they wanted about a grand for a used engine sitting in their yard. Our local rebuild shops have new units for about $800. What a deal.<br /><br />What do you think? This is my first outdrive boat so I am a little cautious.

Bondo

Staff member

The Absolute Best Deal Anywhere, is the GM Goodwrench 5.7l, 350cid motor for the 1 ton truck..... It's already got a great cam... Just add Brass Freeze-Plugs.....<br />The 2 differences between the "Auto" + "Marine" long Blocks is the Brass frost-plugs,+ the cut of the cam...... A "Truck", or "RV" cam is Very Close to the "Marine" cam.... Virtually the Same...

WaterLauger

Cadet

Thanks for the help, Bondo. I just had a guy offer me a 307 Chevy marine engine with compressions of 130-140 psi for around $900. This thing is all set up for the water so I took it. Hate to spend the extra couple hundred on something like this but at least I will know it works.<br /><br />Thanks again.

MonkeyMate1st

Recruit

Okay, from the OMC Factory tech manual. the 225 hp and the 245 hp are both chevy 307s with deff. cams.<br />compresson should be 165 psi cranking with all spark plugs removed, max deff. between cyls is 20 psi.<br />The 260 hp is a chevy 350. Not knowing what hp your new engine is, you my have to change prop pitch to keep your engine RPMs correct.

WaterLauger

Cadet

That's great advice. Where did you get that tech manual? I had the 245 and changed to the 225. does that answer your question?<br /><br />Thanks for the input....

MonkeyMate1st

Recruit

Keep an eye out on e-bay, boat repair shops going out of buisness will some times sell their tech manuals, that where I got mine. In the back of the manual it give recommentations for the correct prop. But this is just a starting point.