omc 1984 I/O v6 3.8 L sudden steering stiffness

dking

Recruit
Steering like butter one minute, 10 minutes later steering very stiff. Power steering fluid level OK. What could it be and what should I do?

KaGee

Admiral
Re: omc 1984 I/O v6 3.8 L sudden steering stiffness

Welcome to Iboats!<br /><br />I have the same setup, minus power steering. First, I would look for the obvious. What does the fluid look like? and smell like? You have a steering cable, power assist and steering gear box. I would look for any obvious problem causing a bind. Other than that, it could be anything.<br /><br />Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

whywhyzed

Banned

sounds like low fluid level<br /><br />could be the pump too. relief valve in the pump could be faulty.

dking

Recruit

It may be the pump. I can hear it's noise change slightly when I turn the wheel so it is running. <br />The fluid smells normal I think, what might it smell like if not normal.<br />The manual says to grease the actuator valve but I have been looking for a 1/2 hour and cannot find it (the picture in the book is not helpful). I did grease the hydraulic cylinder end. <br />Thanks for the input so far guys.

ctimms

Recruit

1989 4.3 cobra. <br />I have a simular problem that started several years ago. Now after about three years I've decide I have a problem. When getting my boat out for the summer, three years ago the stearing was stuck. :eek: It would not turn at all. So I finally jerked the outdrive and got it to move. Well it never dawned on me something was wrong. I figured because I hadn't greased the actuator valve in a couple of years. So I did. It said becareful not to over grease. Well now 3 years later I finally decided the power assist just isn't working. :confused: I thought it was just stiff. After all I only have used the boat twice in the last three years. We just got through running it every day for 4 days and it never did loosen up any. But now I've got to decide whether it is the pump or the actuator. :confused: :confused: Any help determining this would be most helpfull.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

ctimms:<br />Best to start your own thread, not just tack on to someone elses thread. It gets real confusing with 2 problems working.