Older mercruiser reverse lock valve

Sawz

Cadet
Apparently I don't have one. My outdrive kicks up in reverse and slowing from the plane. I just bought this boat 68 bellbouy I ran the serial # on the outdrive and it shows up as a '70. I came here and did searches and researched this valve, downloaded the manual.I figured it was a simple matter of rebuilding the valve or finding a new one ( pricy) As far as I can tell I dont have one installed. Its not attached to any of the shifting linkage, the lines leading from the pump just go out to the trim cylinders, both attaching into the bottom of the pump. My question is, is there a model that has the reverse lock valve is built into the system somewhere? pump, cylinders?

If it was in fact repowered. and not just a registration goof up on the year of the boat.. and they simply left the valve off is there a way to fix this problem. It really doesnt look like a repower, or else they did a very clean job. Many thanks in advance, and I love this site I have lurked here gleaning lots of information from your forums and articles

edit to say its a 165

ok Im pretty sure now it has been repowered, as the registration is a 120 hp., I didnt notice before..
On the bottom of the pump the left smaller line goes out directly to the cylinders. the one on the right goes down and looks like it goes through into the sterndrive I saw no valves attached to the shift linkage at all .. also it appears the line on the bottom of the pump is crossed threaded unless it goes in on an angle like that. couldnt get my head low enough to pick up what the camera did

Attachments

• Boat2 002.jpg
    Boat2 002.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 21
  • Boat3 003.jpg
    Boat3 003.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 21
  • Boat4 004.jpg
    Boat4 004.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 22
  • Boat7 007.jpg
    Boat7 007.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 21
  • Boat10 010.jpg
    Boat10 010.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

jtybt

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Older mercruiser reverse lock valve

The reverse lock-out is attached to the axis of the lever that both lower and remote shift cable connect to.

The newer hydraulic pump has a built-in reverse lock-out.

pix???

Fun Times

Staff member

bigskiohio

Master Chief Petty Officer

powertrimdowdiagram-1.jpg

Sawz

Cadet

A bump for pictures and another question. If I need to replace the pump shown which one would have the reverse valve built in that would work?

bigskiohio

i would say any with the plastic resivior,but i cant find any definitive info on that. I know some pumps are high press. and some are low.

Sawz

Cadet

Ok this is strange.. I went out and dug to find the end of the line from the bottom right of pump that you see in the photo. I traced it under the shaft coming into the back of engine from the stern drive, it seems to end in the housing thats mounted to the inside of the transom just under that splined shaft on the port side of engine. I tried pulling on it thinking it may have got misplaced and trapped when they did the repower. It wont budge. it doesnt come up and out where the reverse lock valve should be. also this line where it attaches into the pump is cross threaded and loose. The drive can still move up and down the only line that goes anywhere is out to the trim cylinders . In my mind the thing wouldnt work if one line isnt hooked to anything. any ideas?

bigskiohio

bondo; said:
The newer plastic tanked trim pumps already have a built in Check Valve....
All ya gotta do is adapt the Lines,... Maybe not even That, not knowin' what ya got now...

i found this on another post