Older Merc 20hp Teardown

Scooch_2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I bought my first boat and motor last year. I had to do a little maintenance and repair to the Merc 35 that was on the boat (with some help from the folks here) and it runs great. In an effort to get my hands dirty and learn a bit more, I picked up a fairly trashed pair of Merc 20hp motors to learn on. I have been slowly dissembling them and seem to be stuck on how to actually remove the powerhead. I've followed the manual and seem to have removed every nut connecting the powerhead to the rest of the outboard, but it won't budge. I removed 6 nuts from the powerhead, dropped the lower unit, and removed as much miscellaneous stuff from around the powerhead. Any hints tips or tricks someone could pass along?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Older Merc 20hp Teardown

Scooch If no one is able to help here try<br />Johns Old Mercury Web Site at www.pfs-ware.com<br /> You will need model ,serial number or year<br /> for help.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: Older Merc 20hp Teardown

Hi Scooch,<br /> You need a harmonic puller - either 2 or 4 point. Most outboards are 3-point, but Mercury made the number of pull points a factor of 2, so there isn't a 120-degree spread. In any case, ONLY pull on the center hub - never pry on the outer rim of the flywheel. You can get pullers at NAPA, Sears, etc...<br />- Scott