older merc 115hp distributor cap needed

lostinboat

Seaman
I have a older 115hp 6 cyl merc outboard and can't find a new distributor cap for it any where. can anyone tell me if there is any place dealing in the older merc parts??.serial # on this engine is 1503150 only numbers i find and cant find the year of this out board anywhere. any help?? thanks

Laddies

Banned
Re: older merc 115hp distributor cap needed

The reason you can't find the serial number is the very first 115s number was 2836019 so if that the number you don't have a 115 its something older but that won't effect the cap there are only 2 types that fit all 6 cyl. Mercury's the oldest has a hole in the side for the old 2 coil system and is held on with 4 screws, the newer has no hole and is held on with a band with a screw and nut through it, Hope this helps in your search.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

olodmercs.com new dissy caps for sale. As Laddies says, figure out what motor you have.

lostinboat

Seaman

update, motor cover says 115hp. After many searches of merc #'s finnally found the engine.it is a 1962 100 hp merc. thank you all for the help and also many thanks for letting me know about the web site oldmercs, they have every thing i need to rebuild this engine.:)

emckelvy

Commander

There's lotsa the older dist caps on eBay, too. One caveat, be sure to pay Extra Special Attention to the firing order of the plug wires in the cap; there are different firing orders for the various Cubic Inch motors which used the same cap. You'll want to get the wires into the new cap in the same order they came out of the old cap!

Have Fun with the restoration, she's a good ol' Tower of Power!..........ed