Old type 1 outdrive questions

Eggkr8

Petty Officer 1st Class
Good Morning,<br /><br />Well, yesterday JustMrWill (aka Will) and I pulled my outdrive so that I can take the winter and go through it with a fine tooth comb. In the process, I would like to replace my bellows and check the exhaust 'flapper'. To do this properly it looks like I need to pull at least the horizontally pivoting gimbal.<br /><br />Here is the problem, from what I read it sounds like I need to thread a bolt into the outside hole and then use a slide hammer to pull it out?<br /><br />Is this true? I already broke through the Bellow to look at the interior of the horizontal gimbal pivot and it is not like there is a nut, nor screw to do.<br /><br />If this is all true, how do I re-assemble? Line everything up and hammer???<br /><br />Sorry for the lack of pictures, but I really don't think they would help<br /><br />The outdrive appears to be a Type 1 (more specifically, I beleive it is a type 1b) with the optional tilt rams. So there are four sets of rams, two short (9 inches compressed I would guess) two long (20" compressed) and only one line into each of the long rams). There is no serial number plate on it. The interior transom plate says just Type1<br /><br />Sorry for being wordy, just wanted to be thorough<br /><br />Thanks in advance<br />e

Laddies

Banned
Re: Old type 1 outdrive questions

there should be a pin what holds the swivel pins in place they go thru the gimbal ring and pin from back to front with a small head at the rear (about 1/8 inch) go to the front of the ring a straighten out the bend that holds them in place first. The two short rams are shocks. 1a=120hp--1b=140hp(in line6)--1c=150hp(inline 6 two carbs.)

Eggkr8

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you for the input. My engine is a 110 HP so Type 1A would make sense.<br /><br />So, do I pull these pins (cotter type things?) and I THEN pull the pins with a slide hammer?

Laddies

Banned

the pins look like finishing nails in most fresh water units just a bolt screwed in them will pull them but I have had to use a slid hammer on some--bob