Old Trucks (RANT)

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade
So, I've been looking for an well priced, old, full size truck, in good shape for the past few weeks. I've looked at a LOT of them and they are NEVER as represented in the ads.. The ones that are priced well say "PERFECT CONDITION" and "SUPER TRUCK" ... bull. As soon as you get there it's always "Oh, all it needs is this, that, or the other thing".. They are all rusted junk. The decent trucks are priced way too high.<br /><br />Am I wrong? I've been going by Kelly Blue Book value - why doesn't everyone else? <br /><br />Just today, I went to look at an old 83 Chevy C10 - on the phone, the guy (who says he's a mechanic) was telling me how great it is.. as soon as I get there, the windshield is broke, there's no power when you step on the gas, and it dies when you put it in reverse.. uughh. It's raining today - when we got back from a spin around the street, the floor was soaking wet. He thinks he's going to get $4000. Good luck.. <br /><br />The other week, I was looking at a F150 - that truck was priced right and was in really good shape .. until I went to start it and saw the ignition was broken and then noticed the inspection was a year past due ... I walked away.<br /><br />Now I'm going to look at another F150 that's priced $1000 too high..<br /><br />I'm frustrated.

D

DJ

Re: Old Trucks (RANT)

America loves its trucks. They're hot.<br /><br />Want a bargain? Look for a full size sedan.

oceansbreeze

Petty Officer 1st Class

this is pretty much true..... I've looked at a bunch of trucks lately, smaller pickups tho, Chev S10 and GMC S15 - all I need to tow my boat. My first truck was an 86 S10, second truck an 89 S15 and picked up a 92 S10 4X4 for my last boat......<br /><br />Now, 8 years later, looking ..... I found a 1986 S10 (don't get me wrong, this truck was MINT) the dealer wanted $5,000 for it... Most of the other 86, 87 and through 90 trucks are in the $4,000 to $5,000 range.....<br /><br />A couple that were $1,000 or so - I brought to the garage for inspection.... surprise, in need of $3,000 worth of repairs... argh!<br /><br />It's a tough market.

ZmOz

Captain

I just went through the same thing. Talked to one guy on the phone and said a truck looked great, no dents or rust. He forgot to mention it didn't have a bed. :rolleyes: Ended up with a '79 Chevy C20 with a 454 for $600. Got a really good deal on it, glad I kept looking. Rust is the biggest problem, just about everything this old is rusted out. The truck I got came from Arizona, it's the only one I looked at without rust. It might just be easier to get one that needs work for cheap and fix it up. If I spend around $1500 on my truck I could probably sell it for $4-5 grand...so basically I got a ~$4500 truck for $2100.

fireman57

Captain

I've got a beauty '77 Ford F250 high boy with a 460, 4 wheel drive, one ton front end, extra overloads on the rear, great tires, omaha flat bed, and only want 2500.00 for it. People ***** about the gas mileage.

Skinnywater

Commander

Here's one I built a couple years ago.A '74 F250 Camper Special w/a Lincoln 460-4V, R134, dechromed/badged except for the grille and tailgate.
061433.jpg
061434.jpg

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by fireman57:<br /> I've got a beauty '77 Ford F250 high boy with a 460, 4 wheel drive, one ton front end, extra overloads on the rear, great tires, omaha flat bed, and only want 2500.00 for it. People ***** about the gas mileage.
What's the mileage fireman? Can't be any worse than my '94 454 Suburban. Between 8.5 and 11 mpg, depending on what I'm doing at the moment.

Link

Rear Admiral

Boomyal<br />LOL the last place I worked all of the service/towing trucks had 454's.. 8 mpg pulling a 30 ft sail boat and 8 mpg driving back after delivery :confused: .. 460 should be about the same.. Someone thats worries about the gas mileage in a truck like that doesnt have a clue.

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Fireman - If it's in good shape, that sounds like a very fair price ... meet me half way?! :) <br /><br />There is an old 77ish F150 not far from here parked under a tree with a for sale sign on it. It has a snow blade on the front and a hand crank tow tower on the back. The bed and cab are both rusted through and all the mounts on the frame look like they are about to fall off. $4000. I understand that that snow blade is worth some money but it's no good without the truck which doesn't seem like it would make it much longer. No thanks.

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Skinny - That's a a lot of work - and it looks like it paid off. That's a good lookin' truck.<br /><br />The one I want is going to get beat up, so I want some dings and dents already in it. :)

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by jsfinn:<br /> The one I want is going to get beat up, so I want some dings and dents already in it. :)
That's what I thought too...now I'm planning a full restoration. :rolleyes: :D