Old trolling motor wiring... what some people will do!

Skeeterbait

Cadet
A friend recently purchased an old aluminum bass boat, and asked me over to look it over. Decent looking boat but what caught my eye was the 110 volt exterior AC outlet used to power the trolling motor. The troller itself is a much newer motorguide 12 volt 5 speed 54lb thrust model. I checked behind the panel and the wire running to the 110 volt outlet is no bigger than 10 AWG. So we traced it back to the battery and made a rough measurement of around 18 feet of wire. There is a butt splice in the wire about two feet from the battery and no fuse/breaker to be found! :eek: I figure there was an inline fuse at some point and the newer motor kept blowing them so the previous owner just bypassed it!

So anyway we plan to rewire the troller. I am guessing this motor could pull 50-55 amps continuous on high and a bit more on startup. We're planning 6 AWG wire, a locking plug and receptacle, and a 70 amp breaker. That sound about right to y'all?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Old trolling motor wiring... what some people will do!

The motor draws 42 amps maximum so a 50/60 amp breaker is sufficient as wold 8 gauge wire. Six gauge is a bit overkill but certainly won't hurt anything.

NYBo

Admiral

My old HydraSport bass boat came with a 120VAC twist-lock receptacle (or something that looked exactly like one) from the factory.

Skeeterbait

Cadet

Thanks for letting me know I was over estimated the amp draw. I will drop back to a 60 amp breaker. Per the Ancor wire guide, 18 feet at even 42 amp needs 6 AWG for best efficiency and only 3% drop in voltage. 8 is definitely in the safe range but not gonna be any more trouble to pull 6.

This is a standard NEMA 5-15R three prong double receptacle like you would find in your house but with a metal outdoor spring cover plate.

NMShooter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Same on my boat... I found 20 feet of #14 romex running from the stern to the bow. Had to have been used for trolling motor.