Old Sea King

ffountain

Seaman Apprentice
I have an old Sea King and don't know anything about it. I can tell you it has M.W.&Co. on the top. It weighs approximately 30lbs. It does no have a recoil start rope ( you wind the rope around on top). The gas tank is on the motor. Where would I look for a model #? I could take a picture but I don't know how to post it. Would be glad to e-mail anyone a picture that might be able to help me identify what I have.

Thanks
Fred

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Old Sea King

Sounds like a 1.5 to 3HP, Gale-made engine, FF. I have a 1948 Gale-made 1.5.

Look on the transom clamp for a plate that should have the model number. If the Model number starts with "GG" it is a Gale.

If you can't find the model number, how about posting some pix?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Look on the bracket above the mounting clamps should be a metal tag.
At 30lbs My guess is a 3 hp.built be the Gale devision of OMC.Numbers will help us establish the year.

westarr61205

Recruit

My Model a 41-42 2HP Dosnt have a model number on any plates, it was stamped to the side of the engine block, i have to remove all of the covers and thats how i found it.

ffountain

Seaman Apprentice

My Model a 41-42 2HP Dosnt have a model number on any plates, it was stamped to the side of the engine block, i have to remove all of the covers and thats how i found it.

That will be my next step. There are no metal plates attached. As I said, I can e-mail pics, but don't know how to post them.

ffountain

Seaman Apprentice

Removed front cover, no visible #'s. Upon removal of the rear cover I realized it is also the exhaust manifold. I plan to replace the rear cover/manifold and take my steam cleaner to the rest to see if there are any visible #'s under all the gunk.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Look at the Non-Boating Tech forum for help in posting pix, FF.

Does it have one or two spark plugs?

ffountain

Seaman Apprentice

Look at the Non-Boating Tech forum for help in posting pix, FF.

Does it have one or two spark plugs?

Thanks, I'll look there. It has 2 plugs and after steam cleaning I found no #'s. I'll try to post some pics so you guy's can see what I have.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

2 plugs would make it a 5hp.
Check your PMs at the top of the page.

ffountain

Seaman Apprentice

Here we go. I'll give this a try. See photo's.

DSC00422.jpg

DSC00421.jpg

DSC00420.jpg

DSC00419.jpg

They are big, but I think you will get the picture.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Looks like an early 40's Sea King, made by Gale, modeled after the early Evinrude Sportwins....dual cylinder model making a whopping 3.3 hp. Odd duck cause it has the tank up front. There may be a welch plug, about quarter sized, somewhere under the covers with some numbers on it...they maybe the only way to ID and date it. The early Sportwins were good little motors, E-rude dropped the name for awhile and when they came back, they were two cylinders stacked on top of each other and bumped up to 5 hp I believe. Plug gap is probably .030 and points .020, probably has the old bullet-proof coils, too. Does it has spark? Fuel mix is 16:1 no doubt.

ffountain

Seaman Apprentice

Looks like an early 40's Sea King, made by Gale, modeled after the early Evinrude Sportwins....dual cylinder model making a whopping 3.3 hp. Odd duck cause it has the tank up front. There may be a welch plug, about quarter sized, somewhere under the covers with some numbers on it...they maybe the only way to ID and date it. The early Sportwins were good little motors, E-rude dropped the name for awhile and when they came back, they were two cylinders stacked on top of each other and bumped up to 5 hp I believe. Plug gap is probably .030 and points .020, probably has the old bullet-proof coils, too. Does it has spark? Fuel mix is 16:1 no doubt.

Seem to remember the quarter size plug. I'll take a look again this weekend and write down all the #'s on it. Not sure about spark, I'll check that also. I do know that the motor is not froze up. Other than that, I have no idea. It has been in my shop for 7 or 8 years now. A friend gave it to me.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

That is an early one unusual twin.2 clues the knob on the front and the gas cap appear Evinrude/Gale like.The knob on the front may also be a primer when turned to the extreme in one direction.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

That is an early one unusual twin.2 clues the knob on the front and the gas cap appear Evinrude/Gale like.The knob on the front may also be a primer when turned to the extreme in one direction.

I believe you will find that is an Evinrude-built motor. Before Gale came on the scene. I'm computer-deprived right now, or I might be able to give a model #. The guys over at www.aomci.org can help you.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Yup, it's a dead ringer for an Evinrude Sportwin...except for the tank.

ffountain

Seaman Apprentice

Seem to remember the quarter size plug. I'll take a look again this weekend and write down all the #'s on it. Not sure about spark, I'll check that also. I do know that the motor is not froze up. Other than that, I have no idea. It has been in my shop for 7 or 8 years now. A friend gave it to me.

Quarter size plug has these #'s on it.

04EA
8814A

Plugs have spark, but looks very weak.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Can't find any of those numbers on my Sea King charts. Try posting your photos and the numbers on the Ask A Member board at www.aomci.org
They can probably ID it.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

04EA is the Sea King model #
368 is the Evinrude model number
It is 3hp, 1940-41
I'd say 1940 because Wards codes the year in reverse fashion (04 = 40) Besides, WWII interupted outboard production and there were no '41, only left over '40 in most cases.