Old Sea King 1956

andyman2010

Cadet
Hello,

MODEL: gg9021a - Gale model 12D13
SERIAL: 55x592832 - 570954

I recently purchased a Sea King for cheap. Runs fine, but impeller may need work. Not circulating water. New to boat motor repair, not new to mechanics. I am needing some pointers.

How do I test the impeller? I read something about a drill in water. I imagine this means removing the lower end and placing in water and rotating with drill to see if pump is working? Is that correct, can you offer some advice here.

I am also in need of finding a repair/parts manual so I may methodically replace parts. Carb kit, impeller, plug wires, coil, etc. She runs ok, but I want my 10 year old to be able to start this puppy..... his boat.

I really would appreciate someone expertise here. I have read this motor is same as Johnson/Evinrude from that era and parts should not be too hard to find.

My son and I thank you!

Attachments

• DSCN3111.jpg
    DSCN3111.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 0
M

mrcrabs

Re: Old Sea King 1956

there were made in Galesburg IL I know that, and I want one!

if in doubt about the impeller, I would suggest disassemble it and see what you have, and bye the way, I applaud you for what your doing for you son. I'm a full time grandfather myself and every lick I hit has something to do with or for my grandson Jake, mostly because his parents do not have enough brain cells left,....... and then I never grew up completely and I can relate to 6 year old's and up...lol...

parts are not hard to find...

andyman2010

Cadet

Thanks. I got it apart this afternoon. Easy as pie. Just a little common sense and it came right apart. Impeller was in about 9 pieces. Hahaha. New one on the way along with carb kit and plug wires.

UPDATE: What an impeller should not look like im guessing... Hehehe

Heads up if yours looks like this flush out the bottom unit thoroughly. I had plastic chunks stuck in grease pockets below the impeller plate(shiny silver plate). If they dislodged while boating that would not be good.

Any pointers to get to the points,magneto, wires? I figure I should "do it while it's apart" and not on the water. Looks like I'll need a wheel puller. Anything I should be concerned with while doing this? Bad experiences anyone would like me to avoid?

Thanks.

UPDATE

I always am thankful for useful information that helps me and I hope this helps you. I believe these part numbers will work for quite a few OMC 2 cylinder outboards from late 50's - Someone correct me if I am wrong.

(1) 172522 IGNITION TUNE KIT
(2) 584477 COILS & WIRES
(2) NGK B6S SPARK PLUGS
(1) 439071 CARB KIT
(1) 203130 HEAD GASKET
(1) 434424 WATER PUMP IMPELLER KIT

:)

Attachments

• impeller.jpg
    impeller.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 0

CATransplant

Admiral

You need an automotive harmonic balancer puller, some 3.5-4" grade eight bolts, 1/4". Remove the nut. Install the puller, using the three holes on the flywheel. Crank down on the screw, and the flywheel will come off. The coils, points, and wires are standard johnson/evinrude parts. It's the Universal Magneto, and any Evinrude dealer or this site can supply them. They're not all that expensive, either.

andyman2010

Cadet

Thanks for the pointers! I will give it a go this afternoon. I'm sure it's easy enough.

andyman2010

Cadet

Yeah simple enough, just had to take my time and the right tools make all the difference as usual.

Here is how I got it off:
  1. Penetrating oil on shaft where flywheel meets
  2. Used puller, see above post by ....CATransplant Thanks!
  3. Make sure bolts are threaded deep enough, but dont damage the coils unless your replacing them
  4. Apply pressure turning the puller bolt until as tight as you can get it.
  5. Now if it did not pop off, mine did not. Take a hammer and give the puller bolt an nice rap. Oil , rap, repeat, eventually.... pop

Thanks everyone, but of course I have a need for more knowledge.

When reinstalling the stator plate how do I know where to align it? Im sure there must be a hash mark, or method to this.

Also I need to clean all the gunk off this motor. I was just going to get it sound mechanically and go, but now im thinking I want it nice and clean with new paint and decals to make it look like it came out of the catalog... well almost :)

What to use to clean the motor, and lower inside to remove all oil residue, gunk?

andyman2010

Cadet

Hey guys,

I ordered impeller 18-3001. Diameter too small. I measured the old one and come up with .5" inner diameter.

Would this be 18-3002 ?

I ordered two of these from here yesterday. Now I am second guessing.... once bitten twice shy. Anyone know the inner diameters of : 18-3002, 18-3003, 18-3005. Gotta be one of those. :confused:

One last thing.. I hope. Anyone know the torque specs for the flywheel bolt, and for the heads?