old power trim questions

ziguan

Seaman Apprentice
Hi,

Just bought a power TnT set and planing to put it on my 83 70hp. it's from a 83 115hp.
could someone please help with few questions?

1. looks like the pump motor should be connected to the battery, but where should the positive and negative wires go?
2. there are two thicker hoses and two thinner hoses, which ones should go to the shock on port/starboard side?
3. the plastic/rubber wrap on the hoses are almost gone. can I still use these hoses?
4. looks like this is the connector that should be plugged into the pump unit, is this correct? are the other wires for the tilt limit?
5. is it ok to run without installing a tilt limit?

Thanks in advance,

1.jpg

2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

5.jpg

alldodge

Staff member
1. looks like the pump motor should be connected to the battery, but where should the positive and negative wires go?
One side of each relay goes to ground. The relays grounds appear to be on the top as indicated by the arrow. It ,ay also be ground at the bracket
Outboard trim.jpg

2. there are two thicker hoses and two thinner hoses, which ones should go to the shock on port/starboard side?
Don't know for sure which is which but my guess would be one large and one small for each side. Larger would be for going up
3. the plastic/rubber wrap on the hoses are almost gone. can I still use these hoses?
You can until they start to leak, get it woking first and change hoses later if it all works
4. looks like this is the connector that should be plugged into the pump unit, is this correct? are the other wires for the tilt limit?
Yes and yes, see below for Mercruiser setup which will work the same way, could be colored wires may be different

Trim wiring Merc 2012.jpg
5. is it ok to run without installing a tilt limit?
With an outboard yes, you should know when the prop starts coming out of the water. just try not to let the engine over rev

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... The silver metal hyd. lines are the Up-circuit, the cloth covered white ones are the down-circuit,....

With an outboard yes, you should know when the prop starts coming out of the water. just try not to let the engine over rev

Another danger is overheatin' from trimmin' too high, goin' slowly,...

That makes a water pressure gauge Handy,....

ziguan

Seaman Apprentice
Alldodge,

Thank you for your answers.
I really really appreciate it !

ziguan

ziguan

Seaman Apprentice
Unfortunately, hooked everything up but nothing was happening. No sound/noise, dead motor?
There are only two wires coming out of the motor, could someone please tell me how can I test the motor and bypass everything else?
I am guessing I should connect the negative wire from battery to the ground on the unit, then connect the positive wire from battery to each of the two wires coming out of the motor?
Or should I connect the +/- wires from battery to the two wires coming out of the motor at the same time?

Thanks!

TrimWiring.jpg

alldodge

Staff member
Unfortunately, hooked everything up but nothing was happening. No sound/noise, dead motor?
There are only two wires coming out of the motor, could someone please tell me how can I test the motor and bypass everything else?
I am guessing I should connect the negative wire from battery to the ground on the unit, then connect the positive wire from battery to each of the two wires coming out of the motor?
Or should I connect the +/- wires from battery to the two wires coming out of the motor at the same time?

Thanks!

Connect the negative to ground and the positive to one of the two wires. It should run in one direction when the pos is connected to one of the wires, and in the opposite when pos is connected to the other

ziguan

Seaman Apprentice
good news, tested and at least the motor is working :). thank you again!