old motor

ArneA

Seaman
Finally coming up with parts. Picked up a pressure two line tank today but still looking for the recoil starter. Missed one on ebay for $9.
EDIT
While at the local boat dealer today they had an old outboard that they think is to be trashed. They told me that it ran 20 years ago and since then has sat in their old parts area. I told them that I would take it if it was to be thrown out. It was a Johnson 5 hp with the numbers 1017254 and T-28. You folks can let me know if it is a diamond in the rough or just another boat anchor. Knowing what is worth would help me decide also whether or not to grab it.

Last edited by a moderator:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: old motor

T-28 seems like an incomplete model number, ArneA. My guess is that it is a TN-28 from 1952-1953.

That was a nice little motor in its day, but that was 60 years ago and if it has been consigned to the scrap heap by a dealer it might have unfixable troubles.

Nevertheless, if it is free I would take it. Worst case it can be a parts source.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Serial number 1017254 was built in 1953. As was the TN-28. Last year for the popular TN series. 1954 introduced the even better CD-10, 5.5hp

TN-25

Chief Petty Officer

Regarding worn out bronze bushed motors, the repair manuals state that if there is excessive clearance between the crank journals vs. bronze bushings (bearings) in the block, replace the block and possibly crank. Unfortunately that is harder to do on an engine that went out of production 58 years ago since new replacements are long gone and other donors are just as old as the worn out one.

My TN-26 was worn out and sat unused for decades, so now I have a TN-28 block with acceptable tolerances (the older TN-25-26-27 starter assembly does not fit the TN-28 flywheel, ask me how I know). TN-28s were updated to using the OMC Universal Points rather than the old, rare, expensive, harder to set Tower Points of its predecessors.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yep. running these motors too lean on the oil will eat up those bronze bushings in the crank journals. These motors want 16:1 mix as a rule. Luckily, when I tore down my 1941 HD-20, I found that the cank journals were still like brand new. Odd for a motor thats 70 years old. LOL