Old Motor Parts?

chuck57

Recruit
My friend just gave me a 1967 Evinrude Sportwin model 9722. Does any one where I can buy parts for it? It cuts off and on when hit a certain high speed. My friend said it never did that until he let his fish stringer get tangled in the motor. I have never worked on a boat motor before and so I bought a manual for it and I have been doing simple things like checking the gap and spark plugs. I removed and cleaned the lower gear case because when I tried to check the oil it looked like reddish grease. I have the carburetor off and I am attempting to soak it for a while. So, I am looking for various parts and any advice a rookie like myself can get.

Thanks.

jbjennings

Captain
Re: Old Motor Parts?

You can get some parts on ebay pretty cheap sometimes. When you say the motor cuts off and on, do you mean it surges or jumps out of gear or what? If it jumps out of gear you might have a bad clutch dog/gear set. If it just suddenly stops accelerating and the motor revs up high you may have a spun prop.
If it's surging it's probably bad spark on one cylinder due to a bad coil, etc.
Laingsoutboards.com and TCoutboards.com are good places to call. If you have part #'s iboats has 'em.
Welcome to iboats. Try to describe your problem in greatest detail possible and some of these guys will tell you what your problem is almost every time. They almost know what's messing up before the motor does!:)
Motor's that old almost always need a lower unit seal kit if you're wanting to get it back in top-notch condition.
Good luck,
JBJ