old johnson 9.5 no spark at plugs or at points

ryanmitton

Seaman
Hey guys, hope your summers going fabulous and your all getting time to enjoy the boats and motors we love!

Summer has been quite cold and rainy here in North Western Ontario, but hey the fishing is GREAT!

We inherited an old Johnson 9.5 unexpectedly from a friend who offered it for free. Apparently it was "completely rebuilt" 2 years ago. No confirmation that it actually ran after it was rebuilt, but to be honest it does look like it has a lot of new parts.

SO, we can't get it to run, the plugs, we are not able to get a spark at the plugs, we've tested new plugs, no dice.

We've pulled the flywheel, and are rotating the flywheel and getting no spark at the points. We bypassed the stop button and closed the circut to make sure it wasn't a faulty stop button.

We've checked the continuity across the OPEN points, holding the testor (see in photos) on either side of the open point, and we get a circut. So we thought the sytem may be short circuting out, but we have looked and looked and cannot find any wiring that looks old/cracked/split.

Any ideas guys? The engine looks in A-1 condition but the magneto is not producting any spark at all and hence none at the plugs.

I know I need to find the model/serial number guys but the plate looks to be removed. In it's place has been inscribed 13-M with an engraver. So I have no idea what the original model number is.

Looking to find why this isn't producing a spark!

Cheers guys and happy boating.
Ryan.
photos:
http://picasaweb.google.com/ryanmitton/Johnson95?feat=directlink

snowpill

Cadet
Re: old johnson 9.5 no spark at plugs or at points

Have you tried cleaning the the points with some emry cloth? It worked for me on a old QD 16 that had no spark.

snowpill

Cadet

Your coils also look a little Questionable in the picture

Rick.

Captain

There should be a little disc on top of the block somewhere with the model number stamped in it. Being from Northern Ontario you will know what a frost plug is. It looks like a miniature frost plug. I'm no electrician but when you say you closed the loop regarding the kill switch it makes me wonder as the function of the kill switch is to close the circuit. To disable the kill switch all you need do is unhook one of the connectors about under the carb. Maybe you've done it right but I thought it was worth bringing up. The motor does look good on the outside. Best of luck. Rick.

backyard mechanic

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ryan-
If my mind serves me correctly this is a early to mid 70's vintage engine. The year is not super important for fixing your problem however. If the magnet in the flywheel is strong, the stator (the metal parts your coils are seated on) and the points are set right generally speaking it'll give you fire.

Check the coils and wiring for carbon spots, cracks or aged spots that may leak a spark to ground. Make sure the stator is set as close to the flywheel as possible w/o hitting it. That will give you maximun "charge" off the magneto.Then assure your points (and wiring) are not grounded and your condenser is good.

Now bring your #1 piston to TDC assuring the set of points corresponding to plug one JUST open at TDC. (You can do that with any ohm meter). On a 2 cyl engine they fire EXACTLY 180 from the #1 point setting. The closer you get the better she'll run.

Any problems and there is a ground, ignition leak or points are dirty/not set correctly. Good luck!

Blade_Link

Seaman

coils will break down over time, i would test or jsut replace your coils, and your condencers and your points, do a complete tune up the whole job will take you 20 mins thats what i had to do with my QD 13 and it runs great now

ryanmitton

Seaman

Thanks for the replies guys.

I took 600 sandpaper to the point surfaces, very lightly, and again tried to turn the flywheel with a ratchet (after putting the bolt back on).

I can't get a spark at the points.

Should I be seeing a spark at the points? Can you generate a spark at the points from hand turning the flywheel?

Ryan.