Old Gas

Basslife

Recruit
I just purchased a boat that has been setting for a season not being used. It has a 10 Gal tank with 5 gal of gas in the tank now, in the floor of the boat. what should I do about the old gas? Can I add another 5 gal of gas and new oil mixing it 50:1 ratio with out having to remove the old gas?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Old Gas

It should be just fine but you have a couple of choices. Drain it and use it in your lawn mower, weed whip, or even your car. Or you can just run it. Or you can add some fresh fuel and run it. If it still smells like gas it is ok. If it smells like varnish it is not.

yoster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Old Gas

I had gas that had been sitting for about 3 years in the boat I just purchased. It was varnished to all getout. I filled it up with fresh gas and also poured an entire bottle of starton into the tank. That stuff is freakin' awesome. It dissolved the varnish bits and allowed me to burn through the old gas without a hitch!! I wouldn't recommend always doing that.. if the tank is portable I'd dispose of it somehow. Mine isn't and there are no fuel disposal centers within 150 miles of where I lived, so I had to go with the next best alternative.