Old gas out New gas in

seapro235

Cadet
I have a SeaPro 235 and would like to empty the old fuel out that has been sitting for several months, any suggestions about how to get this done? It is an enclosed fuel tank but I have access at the back thru a deck plate. I tried siphoning but can't get a gravity flow.
HELP.....
Thanks,
JB

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral
Re: Old gas out New gas in

Several months? whats your definition of several? if your talking 6 to 12 months fill the tank with new gas and go run it, it will be fine

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I agree

if you do want to pump it out tho a cheap fuel pump from the auto parts store will do it

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

oil=spill salvage companies will do it; you can even trailer it to some of them. There are also people who will come to you and clean your gas and return it. But is it that bad? water in it?

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Several months - as in less than 12? - I'd say the best way to empty it is through the carburator/fuel injectors. Dump some seafoam in the tank, take it out out for a cruise.

Of course this can be cast aside if you know there's a problem with the tank/gas like rust/water. In that case, the friendly way is to get a small fuel pump from the auto store. Unfriendly way is to use a garden hose and get the output end lower than the tank. Start the siphon by sucking on the hose - don't swallow any, and have some breath mints handy!

NYBo

Admiral

Welcome to iboats!:cool:

As noted, unless it's contaminated with water or rust, the gas is probably fine to use. A quick and dirty test is to take a sample and use your nose: If it smells like gas, it should be fine. If it smells like paint thinner, it's bad. Also let that sample sit for a while in a clear container. If it stratifies, it's contaminated or suffering phase separation.

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

Are you planning to clean your fuel tank? Why do you want to empty the gas?

seapro235

Cadet

Thanks for your input, When i bought the boat last year, it had a full tank of gas, (but how old was the gas at that time), since then I have put around 60 hrs on the motor, and maybe 30 gals of new fuel, plus several bottles of fuel stabilizer. The last time I had the boat out was in November of 2010, and it started running rough, my thought was the old cruddy fuel, out with the old...start fresh.
Thanks again for your thoughts....
JB

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

well that's a horse of a different color..... I'd ditch that fuel too.... If it still runs crappy change your spark plugs.... old fuel has a tendency to leave a nasty coating on em

seapro235

Cadet

Thanks guys, as I said...out with the old...now if I can get the old out.....