Old Flares

Air Traffic

Seaman Apprentice
I've always kept my outdated flares because folks always tell me they will work just fine most of the time. Now I've got so many I don't know what to do with them. I'm not one of those people who find joy in lighting them off just for something to do, so my question is. Do you keep outdated flare? If so, how long and how do you dispose of them finally.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Old Flares

They go 4-5 years before they're suspect.

I use mine to light the burn pile. A gallon of diesel and flare......instant fire

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

The County or State Marine patrol, or the USCGA, or the local Power Squadron will accept them for disposal. In my area, we have a designated day and hour once a year, under supervision of the Patrol, that we can "practice" in a specific area. You should do that if possible - you don't want to wait till an emergency to see how it works!

I keep 3 new ones plus the most recent expired ones on my handle. Six more expired in the package. So, the oldest is 9 years. The rest I recycycle with the PS.

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Dropped some expired ones off at my local fire station.

Mark

Grub54891

Admiral

4th of july,I shoot em off as everyone else is shooting off stuff anyway. That way nobody suspects there is trouble,I do em from shore.
Grub

Bondo

Staff member

4th of july,I shoot em off as everyone else is shooting off stuff anyway. That way nobody suspects there is trouble,I do em from shore.
Grub

Ayuh,..... Same here,.... The kids love 'em,....

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Around here you NEVER shoot aerials for fun and especially not on the Fourth of July. There are lots of boats out that night all over the city and the LEO's too. If they see one--make that when they see one--they scramble b/c it's likely there is a boat in distress somewhere, and no one knows it came from the shore (how could they?). They catch you (they have) you are in big trouble, and may end up writing a big check to pay the cost of the search--and you should. Bad advice there.

It's OK to test a non-aerial and good idea to know how they work, because if you need one you will probably be in bad conditions. Just do it where no other boats can see you.

Follow the suggestions above: keep for a few years, turn in to fire dept, USCG, etc.; look for a sanctioned "practice day"

Grub54891

Admiral

Around here you NEVER shoot aerials for fun and especially not on the Fourth of July. There are lots of boats out that night all over the city and the LEO's too. If they see one--make that when they see one--they scramble b/c it's likely there is a boat in distress somewhere, and no one knows it came from the shore (how could they?). They catch you (they have) you are in big trouble, and may end up writing a big check to pay the cost of the search--and you should. Bad advice there.

It's OK to test a non-aerial and good idea to know how they work, because if you need one you will probably be in bad conditions. Just do it where no other boats can see you.

Follow the suggestions above: keep for a few years, turn in to fire dept, USCG, etc.; look for a sanctioned "practice day"

You're absoutly right on that,but where we do them is on an inland lake,340 acer's,from shore when there are no other boats out. Usually blowing mortars,and big stuff. The neighbor's and other's are cheering us on. One year someone said from across the lake= that all ya got? So we set off a big one! Heard them say.....we need bigger stuff! Agreed be carefull what/when ya do it. In our spot it just looks like a roman candle going off,but higher.
Grub

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

I would take them from you(if you were close) we use them to light backfires to help control Wildland fires so I'm sure you could give them to the local fire department.