Old fashion Percolator... new Stainless Steel

Link

Rear Admiral
In another thread someone was talking about finding parts for a old fashion percolator.. <br /><br />
watermark.php
<br /><br />Here is the page<br /> http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/...emID=6197&itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&keyword=29439 <br /><br />you can do a search and they also have electric also

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Old fashion Percolator... new Stainless Steel

Stainless is the way to go. The main warehouse is about 2 miles from where I work. The stores have the unique things that used to be in a kitchen.<br /><br />Bob

NYMINUTE

Captain

Makes me want a cup right now. Those made some great coffee.

Link

Rear Admiral

Bob Id be in big trouble with a store like that so close. <br />Harbor Freight is a 1/2 hour drive and still gets me in trouble. :) <br />Roscoe is that one of those that you put the water in the bottom and its drawn up into the top and then goes back down to the bottom again? It didnt give details but because it said vacuum I assumed it does.<br /><br />PBS had one of the cooking shows on a couple weeks ago and rated that type as the best.<br /><br />Well you guys talked into another coffee break :D <br />(Im good at these)

Realgun

Commander

I still want to know though is the perked better than the drip? I remeber Mom and dad making perked coffee a long time ago smelled so good tasted so bad. :) <br /><br />I don't like coffee Starbucks would go out business if I was their customer. :)

Link

Rear Admiral

For the most part I think you just have to learn with each type. Ive never had any from the one roscoe showed us. But it did get the best reviews a couple weeks ago. Old tech sometimes is the best way to go. (Im old) :)

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Yes, thats a vacuume brewer.<br />They have been around for 150 years , or so.<br />Got real popular back in the 1920's, usually ss, either stovetop or electric.<br />My grandmother had one.<br />My dad has collected a few at rummage sales and auctions.<br />I just bought one, Santos Bodum, out of Denmark.<br /><br />This is the one I bought, just before the price went up. (paid $39)<br /><br /><br /> http://www.tabletools.com/tabletools/showdetl.cfm/140/bodum_santos_vacuum_coffee_maker.html <br /><br /><br />Still experimenting with amount of coffee/water/brew time.<br />So far, 2 large scoops of coffee, water to middle line on pot, heat till water goes up tube, then 2 minutes longer. A good flavorful cup of coffee, no bitterness. (3 heaping scoops and 4 minutes brew time is a bit too much)<br /><br />I have a $25 and a $55 drip coffee makers, that will be packed away in the pantry now. There is no taste comparison.

steam_mill

Chief Petty Officer

I was a drip coffee maker person.<br /><br />We bought a cottage a few years ago that come with everything included. No drip coffee maker but had a peroclator. Gave it a try.<br /><br />My wife accidenly broke the drip decanter at home shortly after. Bought a percolator at home too.<br /><br />Way better coffee. Only problem is finding properly ground coffee.<br /><br />Tx.<br /><br />Joe

Link

Rear Admiral

Oddly enough I started this thread to help someone else but Im getting a lot out of it.<br /><br />Was looking in the shed saturday for something else and a coffee pot caught my eye.. <br />Sure enough a almost brand new SS percolator.<br />Back in 91 Mrs.Link and I bought this for tent camping..<br />
watermark.php
<br />And we only used it twice. So Im going to bring it in and try it against my drip. <br /><br />Then all I will have to do is get roscoe to invite me over for a test taste with his :D