Old family recipes

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander
The thread about Irish Stew got me thinking about old family recipes. I make an awesome potato salad that comes from my Grandma Ethyl, my Mom's mother. <br />Do any of you have old family recipes that you still make? If so, how old is it and what is it? <br />Bassy

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Old family recipes

Originally posted by Boomyal:<br /> Oh come on Bassy, you first.
I thought I did. Mine is my Grandma's potato salad and its about 75 years old.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Hard to make with that skimpy a description Bassy! :p

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by Bassy:<br />
Sorry.<br /><br />I thought we were going to give the recipes.

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by Tinkerer:<br />
Originally posted by Bassy:<br />
Sorry.<br /><br />I thought we were going to give the recipes.
Ahh! Great idea. I'll go get it.

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Grandma's Potato salad<br />4 potatoes(peeled and sliced)<br />1/4 purple onion(chopped)<br />3 hard boiled eggs<br />1 cup best foods mayonaise<br />1 Tblsp. Frenches mustard<br />1/4 cup milk<br />1 1/2 cup of celery(chopped)<br />garlic salt( a dash)<br />salt and pepper to taste<br /><br />Instructions:<br />Boil potatoes until tender. drain in collander. In bowl mix Mayo,mustard,milk,salt and pepper together(taste). Add chopped hard boiled eggs,celery and purple onion and mix. Now add potatoes and mix. Yum!<br /><br />This recipe is usually made to taste. You may want to add more of some things and less of others. That's what's so great about this recipe. Easy and hard to mess up. Enjoy!

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer

No idea how long it's been in the family but our potato salad is spuds diced and cooked then a sharp coleslaw dressing with chopped mint; hint of pepper; and sugar. No quantities, just adjust to taste.<br /><br />I wish I had my grandmother's recipes for a few things I've been missing for over 40 years: tomato and onion crumble with a herbed crumb topping; orange gravy for duck or poulty; lamb in white sauce I mentioned in the Irish stew thread; and light sweet lemon curry with minced lamb that was great on toast for breakfast. She never wrote them down and nobody knows how she did it.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

1 large elephant :plenty of brown gravy salt & pepper to taste<br /><br />2 whole rabbits -- optional<br /> <br />Cut elephant into bite-size pieces (allow about 2 months to do this). Hold aside trunk, you can use it to store the pieces.<br /><br />Put elephant in large (very large) pot; add enough gravy to cover. Cook over kerosene fire at 450 degrees for about 4 weeks, or until golden brown.<br /><br />Serves 3,800. If more guest are expected, 2 rabbits may be added. However, this should be done only if absolutely necessary. Most people do not like to find hare in their stew.

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by Bob_VT:<br /> 1 large elephant :plenty of brown gravy salt & pepper to taste<br /><br />2 whole rabbits -- optional<br /> <br />Cut elephant into bite-size pieces (allow about 2 months to do this). Hold aside trunk, you can use it to store the pieces.<br /><br />Put elephant in large (very large) pot; add enough gravy to cover. Cook over kerosene fire at 450 degrees for about 4 weeks, or until golden brown.<br /><br />Serves 3,800. If more guest are expected, 2 rabbits may be added. However, this should be done only if absolutely necessary. Most people do not like to find hare in their stew.
:D :D

Bart Sr.

Lieutenant Commander

My wife bought a Lion's Cookbook a few years back that has a LOT of GREAT recipes in it and I'm sure most of them are old family goodies.We use them quite often.<br />Other chefs have laughed when I mention my FAVORITE cookbook.It is a Betty Crocker copyright 1969.Back when food had FLAVOR.<br /><br />If anyone is interested in any Lion's or Betty recipes I am not hard to find.<br /><br />>>>>>>>HAPPY BOATING DREAMS<<<<<<<