Old Cylinder Head ID Help

johnrude

Seaman Apprentice
I have two old cylinder heads that I am trying to figure out what year and hp. they are off of. They are both smaller two cylinder outboards. I know they are from a Johnson, Evinrude or maybe Gale. The casting numbers on them are 203018. This head has some traces of green paint on it. The second head has the casing number 304694. It has traces of red paint on it. I can take some pics and post them if that helps. Anyone have any idea's or where I can go to find out? Thanks.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Old Cylinder Head ID Help

seeing they are green and red, you need a real old parts book.

johnrude

Seaman Apprentice

I have parts books back to 1950. THe problem is the casting number is not matching any of the numbers. The oldest price book I can find is from 1976 and the numbers are not in there either. I was hopeing someone has one of these and knows what the casting number is on there head.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Looks like we need pictures. Neither number is in the quick reference guide. 203xxx sounds like a 3hp....seem reasonable?

johnrude

Seaman Apprentice

I have two old cylinder heads that I am trying to figure out what year and hp. they are off of. They are both smaller two cylinder outboards. I know they are from a Johnson, Evinrude or maybe Gale. The casting numbers on them are 203018. This head has some traces of green paint on it. The second head has the casing number 304694. It has traces of red paint on it. I can take some pics and post them if that helps. Anyone have any idea's or where I can go to find out? Thanks.

Here are some pics.

head1.jpg

head2.jpg

head4.jpg

small32.jpg

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Going from memory...

The top one looks like a '53 & Prior Evinrude 7.5hp Fleetwin head. The "ears" are threaded where the cowling shells would bolt up. Might be a later one, but I think they later style had a more solid casting without the gaps in the webbing.

The bottom head looks like either a '56 15hp, or a '57/'58 Johnson 18hp head.

- Scott