Ok, trivia is over

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Ok all, a new format for this week's trivia with iboats admin backing.<br />I will post 20 questions this Wednesday at 12 noon EST.<br />This will last for 6 hours.<br />The answers will be emailed to a email addy that I will post along with the questions.<br /><br />The one email that comes in first with the most correct answers will be the winner of trivia for that week.<br /><br />Myself and admin5 have talked about this, this morning and this is the best way to do it to keep it fair as can be in this environment.<br /><br />I understand your concerns about lag time to get emails from one place to the other, but that is something I will just have to put up with.<br /><br />After the time is up, I will post the winning email, minus email addys in the trivia thread.<br /><br />Noel is going to provide 10 questions since he was winner last week.<br />Plus he will not be available to play, and if anyone else will not be able to do it and wants to contribute 10 questions, please let me know.<br /><br />Thanks all.<br /><br />edit: Use your knowledge. Anyone can goggle the answers. That takes all the fun out of it.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Re: Ok, trivia is over

Did I mention, it is free and you could win a gift certificate from iboats.

Drowned Rat

Captain

Hey there Spinner. What happened to the chat trivia? That was fun. Sorry I haven't been able to tune in lately. I'll give it a shot tommorow though.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Hey DR, nothing has happened to it, just going to try a different approach to it is all.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Ok, now remember, it's the one that gets the most correct answers to me first that wins.<br />The email you want to send them to is,<br /> grizzlybear310@yahoo.com <br />put answers in the subject line so I know it is coming from here.<br />Use your knowledge, not goggle.<br />The first 10 questions are normal boating questions and the last 10 has to do with ice fishing since it is getting that time of year.<br />Here they are and have fun.<br />It will run till 6PM EST. today and I will post the answers and winner tonight.<br />_______________________________________________<br />1. What is the general rule of thumb for fuel conservation while boating?<br /><br />2.Before starting your I/O, you should allow your blower to run ___________ minute (s)?<br /><br />3. The “danger signal” is:<br /><br />4. When overtaking a vessel and passing to port, the give-way vessel signals first with _____ short blast(s). <br />The stand-on vessel responds likewise?<br /><br />5. In a crossing situation, the boat to starboard is the _____________ vessel?<br /><br />6. A PWC is exempt from obeying no-wake-zone rules?<br /><br />7. If involved in an accident, you are not required to render assistance?<br /><br />8. When returning from the sea, the red buoys should be on your ________?<br /><br />9. When a boat under sail overtakes a powerboat, who is the stand-on vessel?<br /><br />10. At night, a vessel approaching your port side will show a ________ bow light?<br /><br />11. Is there any proven method for measuring the thickness of ice?<br /><br />12. What are 2 things you need to do that are very important when going ice fishing?<br /><br />13. Leave information about your plans with someone. What info should you leave?<br /><br />14. What should you know before you go?<br /> <br />15. Children should ALWAYS be supervised on the ice except when?<br /><br />16. What are a couple good tools to test the ice ahead of you?<br /><br />17. Where is the best place to get up to date information about the ice you are going out on?<br /><br />18. Where is the ice generally the strongest?<br /><br />19. What kind of cover insulates ice to keep it from freezing evenly?<br /><br />20. What should you do if you see someone fall through the ice?

Drowned Rat

Captain

Thanks for the trivia SBN. I'm gonna go ice fishing now, oh wait, it's 80 degrees outside. Never mind.

SpinnerBait_Nut

First off I just want to say what a disappointment this was.<br />Out of 51000+ members, I had 2 that replied with answers.<br /><br />Don't know what the problem is, half you people are on here all day anyway, and it was for a free gift certificate from iboats.<br /><br />Was ya afraid of the questions or what?<br /><br />Well anyway, here are the questions with the answers and the winning email.<br />_______________________________________________<br />1. What is the general rule of thumb for fuel conservation while boating?<br />A.1/3 of a tank full out, 1/3 of a tank full back, 1/3 of a tank full in<br />2.Before starting your I/O, you should allow your blower to run ___________ minute (s)?<br />A. 4<br />3. The “danger signal” is:<br />A. 5 short blasts<br />4. When overtaking a vessel and passing to port, the give-way vessel signals first with _____ short blast(s). <br />The stand-on vessel responds likewise?<br />A. 2<br />5. In a crossing situation, the boat to starboard is the _____________ vessel?<br />A. STAND-ON<br />6. A PWC is exempt from obeying no-wake-zone rules?<br />A. HECK NO!!!!<br />7. If involved in an accident, you are not required to render assistance?<br />A. FALSE<br />8. When returning from the sea, the red buoys should be on your ________?<br />A. RIGHT<br />9. When a boat under sail overtakes a powerboat, who is the stand-on vessel?<br />A. THE SAILBOAT<br />10. At night, a vessel approaching your port side will show a ________ bow light?<br />A. GREEN<br />11. Is there any proven method for measuring the thickness of ice?<br />A. NO<br />12. What are 2 things you need to do that are very important when going ice fishing?<br />A. Make sure to wear your PFD and don't fish alone?<br />13. Leave information about your plans with someone.<br />What info should you leave?<br />A. Where you intend to fish and what time you plan on returning?<br />14. What should you know before you go?<br />A. Know the conditions of the ice before venturing out; taking into<br />consideration recent possible effects changes in the weather have had on the ice? <br />15. Children should ALWAYS be supervised on the ice except when?<br />A. Never let your children venture out on the ice alone.<br />They should be supervised at all times?<br />16. What are a couple good tools to test the ice ahead of you?<br />A. Spud bar and/or auger?<br />17. Where is the best place to get up to date information about the ice you are going out on?<br />A. Local bait and tackle shops?<br />18. Where is the ice generally the strongest?<br />A. Where it's hard and blue?<br />19. What kind of cover insulates ice to keep it from freezing evenly?<br />A. Snow<br />20. What should you do if you see someone fall through the ice?<br />A. Try to extend a rope or ladder to the victim.<br />________________________________________________<br />From: snapperbait Add to Address Book <br />To: grizzlybear310@yahoo.com <br />Subject: trivia. <br />Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 14:31:06 -0500 <br /><br /> <br />#1 1/3 for the trip out, 1/3 for the trip back in, 1/3 for reserve.<br />#2 A minimum of 4 minutes<br />#3 5 short horn blasts<br />#4 2 short blasts<br />#5 stand on<br />#6 no GD jet jerks.. grrrr<br />#7 false.. If you're able to, you must assist..<br />#8 starboard side<br />#9 F^&'n sailboats... grrrrrrrrrr<br />#10 Red light<br />#11 Ice? what's ice? I dunno<br />#12 stay home and turn on the heater.<br />#13 Where your going, whom you have with you, the time to expect ya <br />back (so folks know when to call the Coasty guards), description of the <br />boat, the boats name and reg numbers, medical info,<br />#14 Weather, condition of the boat, "rules of the road" ect....<br />#15 there ya go with those ice questions again... <br />#16 a hammer? an ice pick? I dunno<br />#17 I dunno.<br />#18 close to shore?<br />#19 snow?<br />#20 throw em a PFD and a line..<br />______________________________________________<br />It was close, but snapperbait won with 11 right answers.<br />The other entry, DrownedRat, got 9 right.<br />Congrats snapper.<br /><br />Also would like to thank BrianFD for help with the boating questions.<br />_______________________________________________<br />BTW, next week we will have it at the regular time in my chat room.<br />At least there are some people that show up there.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Two replies? TWO MEMBERS out of 50some thousand? :( You gotta be kidding?.. <br /><br />Man!!!! What a bunch of party poopers... I ain't never.....................
30.gif
<br /><br />Anywhooo.<br />Thank you iboats and Admin5 for the very generous prize, AND thank you SBN for putting it together and making it happen.. :) <br /><br />10 questions comming up for wednesday... Be there, or be square... :p <br /><br />2 replies... sheeeeesh... :rolleyes:

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I suggest make it in the evening. Hard to answer all those questions while we are at work.<br /><br />Plus, we dont get much ice fishing here in Houston. :) <br /><br />Ken

Dunaruna

Admiral

Originally posted by kenimpzoom:<br />[QB] Plus, we dont get much ice fishing here in Houston. :) <br /><br />Thats why I didn't participate. Took a look at the questions but I didn't have a clue, the only ice I ever see is floating in a scotch glass. <br /><br />Have a safe and VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS to all.<br /><br />Aldo

BrianFD

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Got the auto-email (evidently didn't look at them very close) and went to both chatrooms and didn't see anyone, so I left. Didn't see the iboats "trivia" until it was too late. Sorry! I know I could've gotten the 1st ten questions, but since I don't ice-fish, didn't have much to go on for the last 10. Might've guessed a couple of them right, but who knows?<br />Anyway, I liked it better in the chat room, SBN. Sorry you didn't get more participation. You'd have thought that out of 51,000 members, you'd have gotten more than 2 replies.<br />Don't be disappointed...

FLATHEAD

Captain

Not happening for me during the day,, I am at work. When I saw the topic I thought it was just another notice for the chat trivia, and did not click because I can not participate while working. <br /><br />Perhaps other thought the same thing.

FSHKPR

Ensign

sorry sbn it sounds like a lot fun. but i have no access to computer till after 4pm central time.

Drowned Rat

Captain

Congrats Snapper! I came in last, but still got second place. :D